'Beethoven' musical score row between Sotheby's and expert
A row over a handwritten score "by Beethoven" being sold at auction for up to £200,000 has broken out between an expert and its sellers.
Professor Barry Cooper, who has studied the composer's manuscripts, claims there are inconsistencies within the 1817 piece, Allegretto in B minor.
His "hunch" is it was "copied shortly after it was composed".
Auctioneers Sotheby's said copying the piece was "unconceivable", adding the lot would go on sale on 29 November.
Ludwig van Beethoven composed and wrote Allegretto in B minor on 29 November 1817 for an English... read more
- 15:09 Northumberland school buildings need £2k per pupil to bring them up...
- 15:08 Chance to boldly go with £4m Enterprise
- 15:08 Mum claims damages after horror cyst ordeal
- 15:08 Each area will have 'chapter' in local plan
- 15:08 Bye-bye Byron Street
- 15:08 Kitchen clink: Rogue trader jailed for fraud
- 15:07 Children brave chop to help young people with cancer
- 15:07 Storm Doris to bring 80mph winds and heavy rain
- 15:06 Digger Festival organisers and artists celebrate George Orwell
- 15:06 Nissan says Brexit-induced fall in pound left it slightly worse off
- 15:06 New BBC Scotland channel a “shift in the right direction”
- 15:06 India's Snapdeal to cut 600 staff, founders forego salary
- 15:06 VIDEO: Bumpy landings for planes at Yorkshire airport as Storm...
- 15:05 Ayrshire boxing legend Alec Mullen backs Irvine ace Ryan Collins to...
- 15:05 Crime scene investigation officers in West Cumbrian town centre
- 15:04 South Sudanese exiles fear kidnap after activists disappear in Kenya
- 15:04 Eden Hazard: Why Chelsea have been so good at Stamford Bridge this...
- 15:04 Manchester United take advantage of bizarre 'loophole' ahead of...
- 15:04 Man 'gutted' in knife attack after refusing to give cash to beggars
- 15:03 NOSTALGIA: Old pictures of Chesterfield Co-op
- 15:03 Storm Doris to bring 80mph winds and heavy rain
- 15:02 Traffic lights review before upgrade works began would have put...
- 15:02 New cafe bar to bring back to life disused bank building
- 15:02 Double penalty points for drivers caught using mobile phone
- 15:02 Sheffield resident heard "shouting and loud voices" moments before...
- 15:02 Northern Powerhouse Minister to speak at major conference on how...
- 15:01 Wall Street slips on weak oil prices; Fed minutes in focus
- 15:01 Iran sends delegation to Saudi for talks on rejoining haj
- 15:01 Germany's 'man of the streets' Schulz plots path to defeat Merkel
- 15:00 Calthorpe Estates expands senior team