Battle of Hastings to be re-enacted after 300-mile journey from York
A group of re-enactors will today end their 300-mile cross-country journey at the East Sussex battlefield where the Battle of Hastings was fought exactly 950 years ago.
Their three-week march began in York on September 25 and has taken them south on foot and on horseback in an echo of the journey King Harold made to fight in the battle.
They are arriving in Battle, near Hastings, where on October 14 1066 the forces of Harold and Duke William of Normandy met in arguably the most famous battle in English history.
The march is part of a series of events marking the 950th anniversary of the... read more
- 02:05 Forced asset sales by banks destroying farmers' lives, Nationals...
- 02:04 When the going gets tough, the tough get mucky
- 01:50 North Korean propaganda changes its tune
- 01:33 Teens on 9-1 GCSEs: 'Everyone's worried about grade boundaries'
- 01:33 Meet Game of Thrones' woman of weapons
- 01:25 The Aquarius: Migrant taxi service or charitable rescuers?
- 01:23 Tom Richmond: Tories could pay dearly for their attitude to the North
- 01:22 Codebreaking Bombe moves to computer museum
- 01:21 Charity issues plea to parents as holidays end
- 01:21 Renting a way of life in hard-up Britain
- 01:14 The Yorkshire Post says: Brexit crash landing fears. Airbus chief...
- 01:14 David Behrens: NHS needs to push the envelope on methods of...
- 01:14 Sir William Worsley: Trees must be at the heart of our...
- 01:09 Charing Cross evacuated as man on tracks claims to have a bomb
- 01:04 The Yorkshire Post says: Cricket’s new test. How to win over Asian...
- 01:04 The Yorkshire Post says: Grayling no show. Macavity Minister to...
- 01:04 Brexit: Campaigners to demand new vote in London march
- 00:47 Grin and bear it: researcher has no hard feelings for grizzly that...
- 00:47 Supreme court bans police access to phone records without a warrant
- 00:43 Royal Ascot tips: Best bets for Day Five of 2018 festival
- 00:43 Nabil Fekir to plead with Lyon president for Liverpool move despite...
- 00:43 Game of Thrones: Kit Harington and Rose Leslie's wedding is coming
- 00:43 Blue Planet fans 'disturbing coastal wildlife'
- 00:42 Melania Trump visits children’s shelter wearing ‘I don’t care’ jacket
- 00:42 Gangs’ families should lose council homes – Home Office minister
- 00:35 Lincs CCC set to begin championship defence
- 00:30 Win a VIP Lowther Show Experience 2018!
- 00:27 Talking Horses: Growl could give Richard Fahey a Wokingham repeat
- 00:23 AFL results: Round 13 scores, ladder and latest news
- 00:17 Tout rout: stars come out to close down ticket resellers