Basra Museum: How Saddam's palace was given to the people
The former Iraqi leader, Saddam Hussein, built more than 70 luxurious palaces during his 24-year rule. Now one in Basra is being used to showcase the region's historical treasures.
Hundreds poured through the huge iron doors protecting the antiquities this week to gaze at the remnants of their rich past. The project - a brainchild of the British Army and Qahtan al-Obaid, the museum director - is not finished, but one gallery is open to the public.
The man who managed the renovation, 27-year-old Mahdi Aloosawi, has spent the past three years painting, building and installing pipelines and... read more
- 10:13 Woman seen running from scene after attempted Knaresborough burglary
- 10:14 Arsenal star: Why beating Man United was a career highlight
- 10:13 Aldi to recruit dozens more staff across area
- 10:13 WATCH: Song for Christmas - Elland C of E Junior and Infant School
- 10:13 Police probe suspected arson attack in South Shields
- 10:12 Manchester United defender Phil Jones admits 'dropping points is...
- 10:11 A hair-raising way to help
- 10:11 Loris Karius and Lucas Leiva must improve if Liverpool are to win...
- 10:09 Borough chief Kennedy won't be standing down even after 'unreserved...
- 10:09 Northampton’s biggest single social housing development for 30...
- 10:09 Nelson cousins meet TV stars
- 10:09 City designers join online marketplace
- 10:09 LIVE: A180 blocked after series of accidents
- 10:08 Prison sentence handed to Swadlincote lorry driver is criticised
- 10:07 CCTV image released after £2,400 jewellery theft
- 10:06 Scotland slips down world education rankings in key subjects
- 10:05 Can you spot all the angels on the Heckmondwike Angel Trail?
- 10:05 Updates as Spring Bank crash lorry driver Neville Fletcher sentenced
- 10:05 Manchester United Christmas gifts perfect for Man Utd fans in 2016
- 10:04 John Terry is nearing the end of his Chelsea career… but as he...
- 10:03 Updates: Stoke-on-Trent Crown Court evacuated
- 10:01 East Midlands Trains set to have more power over rail network
- 10:00 Barrow man due in court over alleged town centre stabbing in broad...
- 10:00 Catriona Munro: New rules let small firms sue cartels
- 10:00 Scotland’s top-selling food and drink brands revealed
- 09:59 Letters - December 1, 2016
- 09:57 £5m drugs haul one of the biggest ever seized on South Bank docks
- 09:57 LIVE: A180 blocked after series of accidents
- 09:57 Arsene Wenger: My thoughts on Granit Xhaka's start to life at Arsenal
- 09:57 These two clubs are the best teams in the country but Manchester...