Barrow sub that was never far from the front line
Launched on October 5 1979, Splendid was the last of the nuclear-powered Swiftsure class to be built in Barrow.
Just over a year after it was commissioned, it was one of the first submarines to reach the Falkland Islands after war was declared in 1982.
During the war in Kosovo in 1999, Splendid was the first British sub to fire American-made Tomahawk missiles on Serbian targets.
Once again at the forefront of the battle, it was deployed to the Gulf during the Iraq War in 2003.
During a 188-day tour, the boat supported the invasion by firing multiple Tomahawks at enemy targets.
Towards the... read more
- 16:19 Warning over Blue Whale Challenge craze after 13-year-old dies
- 16:19 So THAT'S why there's a decibel sticker on your wheelie-bin
- 16:19 Decommissioned bedsits in Long Eaton to be converted into family homes
- 16:18 Sutton St James continues search for ‘village caretaker’
- 16:17 Germany must invest to keep up in electric cars - Merkel
- 16:17 Something massive is passing in front of that ‘alien...
- 16:17 Cars are no longer allowed to use Bank Junction during the day
- 16:17 An early look at Late May Bank Holiday weekend weather in the...
- 16:16 Who should I vote for?
- 16:16 Wall St. opens higher as oil prices, defense stocks rise
- 16:16 Billy Bush on Trump tape - didn't have 'strength' to change topic
- 16:16 Police probe alleged brawl at Carlisle cage fighting event
- 16:14 Global passport system outage in the UK causes CHAOS and huge...
- 16:14 Some Everton FC players will have a point to prove in pre-season
- 16:13 Melton pub celebrates top award
- 16:13 Melton businesses urged to paint the town red
- 16:13 "Chaos" as Kirklees Council contractor fails to put road closed...
- 16:13 Manchester United and Chelsea on transfer alert as Monaco star...
- 16:13 David Seaman tells Arsene Wenger what Arsenal must do to compete...
- 16:13 Primark have released a highly-pigmented eyeshadow palette for just £4
- 16:12 'We are concerned with the Eurogroup agenda' Portugal Finance...
- 16:11 Warning over "Brexit" virus in bacon and sausages ahead of Bank...
- 16:11 Manchester United midfielder Ander Herrera explains how he proved...
- 16:10 School life: Ooh la la! Fun in France for Hipperholme Grammar
- 16:10 Two sisters set to be Ribchester Field Day queen on the same day
- 16:10 Prestonians rush to register right to vote
- 16:09 Together till the end: Photographer documents her parents' painful...
- 16:09 Cholesterol-busting statins provide 'no benefit' for pensioners at...
- 16:09 No matter the disease - exercise DOES help: Being active improves...
- 16:09 Teen biker in hospital with head injuries after crash involving bus