Barcelona plans to stop randy birds trashing city – by putting pigeons on CONTRACEPTION
More than 150 animal welfare groups are celebrating the new controls which will replace the controversial rounding up and killing of the birds which are threatening to take over the historic centre, pooing on monuments, listed buildings and tourists.
Barcelona's leaders are taking expert advice over contraceptive methods which could cut numbers by as much as 80 per cent within four to five years.
The first step will be to count the number of pigeons, a huge task which will take place during December and January.
Meantime, the city council has officially confirmed, culling will be suspended,... read more
- 08:43 The morning news headlines: Theresa May warned of 'crash landing'...
- 08:43 European shares led higher by telecoms, Unilever slump weighs
- 08:43 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel news, weather and fun features
- 08:42 Person rescued from early morning house fire
- 08:42 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel news, weather and fun features
- 08:41 Two Barrow teenagers banned from football for five years after...
- 08:41 Delays on Leeds-bound M1 after multi-vehicle crash at Wakefield
- 08:41 Oscar nominee Isabelle Huppert 'nearly wasn't in Elle'
- 08:41 WW2 veteran fulfils wartime wish by turning 100 surrounded by...
- 08:41 Brian Wilson: Crunch time now for BBC Alba, a Scottish success story
- 08:41 Which pop stars deserve a blue plaque in their honour?
- 08:41 Donald Trump state visit will be debated in Parliament
- 08:41 Column: Decision must be made about college
- 08:40 NHS IN CRISIS: ‘Stroke patients will have to travel further to...
- 08:40 Delays on Leeds-bound M1 after multi-vehicle crash at Wakefield
- 08:39 Firefighters tackle car blaze near Ludlow
- 08:39 Video: Tadcaster whole again as Archbishop blesses bridge
- 08:39 Celebrate town, but don’t revert to stereotypes
- 08:39 Shooting victim named as Sheffield murder investigation continues
- 08:39 Out-of depth May in thrall to authoritarian Tory right
- 08:38 NHS IN CRISIS: GP numbers in England heading for a ‘cliff edge’
- 08:38 NHS IN CRISIS: ‘Stroke patients will have to travel further to...
- 08:38 The morning news headlines: Theresa May warned of 'crash landing'...
- 08:38 Cillian Murphy 'nicked' film director's crew for Peaky Blinders
- 08:38 Victim offers reward for recovery of stolen car
- 08:38 Birmingham hotter than Rome as hot air from Caribbean sweeps in
- 08:38 Sheffield shooting latest - what we know so far
- 08:38 Birmingham City Hall of Famer Roger Hynd passes away aged 75
- 08:37 Buying a property is still cheaper than renting but at £705 a month...
- 08:37 Star Wars 8 The Last Jedi: 'Luke wants Rey to kill Kylo Ren' in...