Barbican Theatre, London EC1
In C, that all-consuming compound of hypnotic minimalist music, comes across as a modern masterpiece when played live.
The musicians, seizing the piece's improvisatory opportunities, are in total fusion with composer and pianist Terry Riley as the score’s ecstasy-inducing sonics take hold.
Composed as a sequence of 53 melodic patterns and rhythmic tonal progressions, cycled by each musician and instrument for an improvised amount of time — unspecified by the composer — the players repeat the phrases, in beats of one to 32, at will.
The impact of this seminal work from 1964 is all the more... read more
- 11:34 EastEnders spoilers: Tragic death tonight as the Brannings say...
- 11:34 Unaccompanied teens hit by McDonald's evening ban
- 11:34 Bridge and lifts set to boost Fylde coast railway station
- 11:34 Wigan mum wrongly claimed £12,000 in benefits
- 11:33 Nuneaton gym to be put into liquidation
- 11:32 Pocket watch handed down from First World War casualty stolen
- 11:32 Pound v US dollar: GBP holds onto gains despite sharp drop in UK...
- 11:32 Pound V euro: GBP rate drops against EUR as UK retail sales worsen
- 11:31 Mayor Joe: new prison could be needed to replace 'failing' Walton jail
- 11:31 Sanchez - Mkhitaryan swap delayed by 36 hours: No debuts this...
- 11:30 Arsene Wenger explains why Alexis Sanchez departure to Mancheter...
- 11:29 Jail for man who threatened 78-year-old Spalding antiques dealer...
- 11:29 Taxpayers set to pay extra £12 a year to fund more cops to fight...
- 11:28 Japanese flu symptoms and how is it different to Australian flu?
- 09:34 Theatre Review Laughing at, not with, the working class
- 09:34 Theatre Review Room for development
- 09:34 Book Review Picture This: A book of miracles
- 09:34 Theatre Review Tragicomic dilemmas of a world where the drugs don't...
- 11:28 Penwortham man Nick Sagar made such a sound career choice
- 09:34 Jazz Review Rare music treat from Tippett trio
- 11:28 The Walking Dead season 8: Lauren Cohan reveals Maggie’s upcoming...
- 09:34 Theatre Review Sure-footed sex and violence
- 09:34 Music Album reviews with Ian Sinclair
- 09:34 Photography Authentic ambrosia
- 09:34 Interview ‘He spoke to what was needed to create an equal society’
- 11:27 Mel C from the Spice Girls heading to Uttoxeter Racecourse for DJ...
- 09:34 Poetry On Shitholes
- 09:34 Film Of The Week Urgent message in The Post
- 09:34 Reviews Film round-up: January 18
- 09:34 Previews Arts Ahead: January 18-25