Banks and miners drag down FTSE 100
(Open): London's leading shares fell 1.27% in early Friday trading, with no risers, while banks and miners led the downward trend.
In the opening minutes, the benchmark FTSE 100 index dropped 88.21 points to 6,831.21.
Among the mining firms, Anglo American shed 3.3%, while Antofagasta slipped 2.6%.
Barclays, Lloyds and RBS rounded out the top five losers' list, falling 3.2%, 2.9% and 2.7% respectively.
In fact, banking shares fell sharply in all major European markets as Deutsche Bank's woes deepened.
The German lender saw its share price fall more than 7% as fears grew about its financial... read more
- 11:24 Why do they have pacers in the London Marathon?
- 11:24 Michael Owen compares Mohamed Salah’s phenomenal season to other...
- 11:24 Royal Regiment of Fusiliers staged Freedom parade
- 11:23 Mike Myers honours Austin Powers co-star Verne Troyer after actor's...
- 11:18 Summer camp places up for grabs
- 11:16 Dale Winton ‘died of a broken heart’ after split from toyboy lover
- 11:15 Opposition view: Pilgrims boss Adams has no complaints in defeat...
- 11:14 Hunt launched for British father who ‘abducted his twin daughters...
- 11:13 Wife's horror story of how controlling mum-in-law tells her when to...
- 11:12 IPL betting preview: Mumbai Indians set to brush aside struggling...
- 11:11 Andres Iniesta cries on the bench as Barcelona midfielder struggles...
- 11:11 Chelsea vs Southampton: Conte without three, huge doubt for Blues,...
- 11:10 Cousin reveals ‘evil’ Manchester Arena terrorist used his bank card...
- 11:10 BBC series filmed around Warwick and Stratford set for second season
- 11:10 Stratford-on-Avon jeweller Pragnell wins prestigious Queen’s Award...
- 11:09 Lichfield belly dancing group on the lookout for new members
- 11:07 Woman suffers serious injuries after assault in Market Harborough flat
- 11:07 IPL betting preview: Sunrisers fully expected to bounce back...
- 11:07 Primary school tests boycott draws scattered support
- 11:04 Everton, Celtic and Leicester to battle it out for prolific forward
- 11:04 Wastwater death: Diver dies in England's deepest lake
- 10:59 Boy, 9, who woke up with ‘puffy’ face died four days later
- 10:58 County cricket: Yorkshire v Notts, Somerset v Worcs and more – live!
- 10:55 Police appeal after alleyway 'serious sexual assault' in Bradford
- 10:54 Ant McPartlin's drastically different look as he appears on...
- 10:52 Johanna Konta and Heather Watson suffer Fed Cup heartbreak as Japan...
- 10:52 Tourists evacuated from famous abbey in France after security threat
- 10:51 Police appeal after alleyway 'serious sexual assault' in Bradford
- 10:49 Pothole ridden roads in Nuneaton and Bedworth 'forgotten'
- 10:47 Hollywood star Verne Troyer dies aged 49