Bankers and builders are giving us something to be optimistic about, says HARVEY JONES
Bankers and builders have endured markedly different fortunes ever since, and continue to do so.
The big banks have spent the last nine years atoning for their sins, but there are signs that the worst may be over following last week’s patchy but promising results.
In a symbolic moment, Royal Bank of Scotland reported its first profit in a decade, while Lloyds saw underlying profits rise 8 per cent to £8.5billion.
Barclays suffered a £2.5billion write down on its sale of Barclays Africa, plus £1.2billion of conduct charges, but cheered investors with promises of higher dividends.
The PPI... read more
- 04:54 More deaths in Nicaragua violence as talks collapse
- 04:51 Parma interest in Aston Villa star, Sanchez embarrassed - all the...
- 04:51 Goalkeeper linked, Zola Chelsea latest - all the Birmingham City news
- 04:51 West Brom striker search twist, Krychowiak stunner - all the WBA news
- 04:25 Police seek car clues after body of Thai man found by roadside in...
- 04:18 GCHQ director urges co-operation after Brexit
- 03:50 From Twitter wars to assassinating Caesar
- 03:42 Protesters taunt US homeland security secretary as she eats Mexican...
- 03:41 Perfectionism and poverty: why musicians struggle with mental health
- 03:35 Peter Thomson, Australian golfing great, dies aged 88
- 03:27 Trump backs plan to end family separations but shirks responsibility
- 02:55 Leeds United 5 - 0 Burton Albion - report: Brewers thrashed by...
- 02:44 All aboard for the weekend
- 01:49 NHS at 70: How Moorfields Eye Hospital changed the world
- 01:49 Gosport hospital deaths: Independent panel findings due
- 01:45 BREAKING: MAJOR flood at Las Vegas hotel as ‘Shark Reef Aquarium...
- 01:44 Katie Price, 40, steps out with toyboy Kris Boyson, 29... after...
- 01:44 Love Island: Wes leaves Laura in tears as he appears to END their...
- 01:44 Love Island: Fans rejoice as Dr Alex FINALLY gets a kiss from...
- 01:44 Beyonce shows off her curves in leopard-print outfit as she joins...
- 01:44 Alexa Chung slips into chic strapless dress and scarf as she joins...
- 01:44 Kourtney Kardashian flashes ample assets in black bralette as she...
- 01:44 Helen Flanagan reveals it's her baby's due date in throwback snap...
- 01:23 Canada legalises cannabis use after successful Senate vote
- 01:18 WHO takes transgenderism out of mental illness category
- 01:13 'Please let me bury my murdered brother'
- 01:11 Meet Kamille: The stockbroker who writes hits for Little Mix and...
- 01:11 Boy Erased author Garrard Conley on surviving 'gay conversion therapy'
- 01:10 Fun for all the family at annual Father’s Day Tractor Rally
- 01:04 Jobs lost as Tog 24 closes