Back In Time for Tea review: A family submits to diets of the interwar years
It reminded me of the famous Monty Python sketch: “We were so poor we had to rely on handouts from BBC factual…”
I’m sure they did need something of a boost during the Depression years when they were living on something called a Wigan Shake – pardon? – which was apparently two slices of thinly cut bread on which a fried rasher of bacon was rubbed.
Otherwise it was mostly bread and dripping for tea, which actually sounded like a luxury compared with the other offerings.
At one point they introduced a pig’s bladder. Thankfully they only kicked it over the fence.
It was pleasing to hear... read more
- 12:31 Steve Bruce's challenge to his Aston Villa players ahead of...
- 12:31 How next week’s cold weather could affect your mobile phone
- 12:31 The lasting legacy of little baby Christopher
- 12:30 Leicestershire construction materials giant Aggregate Industries...
- 12:29 How do you get your baby to sleep? Tommee Tippee has the 10 perfect...
- 12:29 Victims of bungling robber speak of their ordeal
- 12:29 Emergency shelters opened as Leeds activates cold weather protocol...
- 12:29 Lola Ross on the health trends for 2018
- 12:29 Angela Missoni: New knits
- 12:29 Watch mass brawl break out at Headingley bar
- 12:28 Yorkshire hotel named one of Britain's most romantic
- 12:27 Slimming World turns away disabled mum 'because she could not be...
- 12:27 Teenagers stabbed multiple times in Lancaster
- 12:27 Watch mass brawl break out at Headingley bar
- 12:26 Fylde YMCA scheme tackles childhood obesity
- 12:26 Jodie and Craig aim to inspire Blackpool youngsters
- 12:26 Showcase trip for kids was just Grand
- 12:26 Sean back to beef up TV special
- 12:26 Manufacturers appoint Joel to increase engagement
- 12:26 14 warning signs of an emotional abusive partner
- 12:26 Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola ready to sign improved...
- 12:26 Arsenal draw AC Milan in last-16 of the Europa League as veteran...
- 12:25 Gloucester v Wasps: The Big Match Preview
- 12:25 Coventry City team news: Here's who is in and who is out for...
- 12:25 REGIONAL: Family ‘distraught’ as brothers, aged two and six, killed...
- 12:25 Yorkshire hotel named one of Britain's most romantic
- 12:24 How next week’s cold weather could affect your mobile phone
- 12:23 Mercedes chief reveals why Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas could...
- 12:23 Roger Federer: Dubai Tennis Championship appearance in doubt as...
- 12:23 Pendle in bid to breakaway from Lancashire County Council