Axe Derby council managers, not teaching assistants' pay
Derby' school support staff are on strike again today (Tuesday, September 27) in their fight over pay. The ongoing dispute has stirred up hot debate on our letters pages and today, as their campaign continues, reader Graham Buckler, shares his views on this important issue.
So Derby City Council is on one hand so inefficient that it didn't pay its television licence bill and on the other hand so mean that it reduced its teaching assistants' pay by 25%.
In Derby, the council and Derby Homes employ numerous officials on salaries of £50,000 to £160,000 yet there are no pubic toilets, fewer... read more
- 13:39 All creatures great and small are blessed at church service
- 13:39 Crash drink-driver fell over after she arrived at care home to...
- 13:39 Burglars cut through shutter to steal from Harrogate town centre shop
- 13:39 ‘Rich kid’ who swapped life with ‘skint’ family for TV show...
- 13:38 Sunderland’s Liebherr plant reveals how it’s preparing for Brexit
- 13:37 Child mauled in dog attack in Nuneaton
- 13:36 Where are you on the UK fat scale?
- 13:35 Hundreds of assaults on West Midlands Ambulance staff last year
- 13:35 New development in tragic Alfie Evans case after life support...
- 13:35 Music review: The Streets, O2 Academy, Glasgow
- 13:35 Everton v Lyon: Three charged over Goodison disturbance
- 13:35 Another High Court hearing on Alfie Evans set for TODAY as sick...
- 13:34 Hillary Clinton branded Donald Trump ‘disgusting’ in foul-mouthed rant
- 13:34 Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic learn first Barcelona Open opponents
- 13:34 Driver jailed after ‘repeatedly’ swearing at speed cameras
- 13:34 Burglars cut through shutter to steal from Harrogate town centre shop
- 13:33 Woman sentenced for leaving elderly mother in a chair for a year
- 13:31 Crash drink-driver fell over after she arrived at care home to...
- 13:31 Chelsea news: Conte to Arsenal claim, Blues in for Martial, Klopp...
- 13:30 BTS land two entries in top 100 greatest boyband songs
- 13:30 Leeds hospices’ 40 anniversaries: 40 fundraising ideas to pay...
- 13:30 Revealed: The films that captured Leeds on the big screen
- 13:30 Burglars cut through shutter to steal from Harrogate town centre shop
- 13:30 Woman found used condom ‘with dark hairs attached’ in her Tesco kale
- 13:27 M6 crash: Car hits Highways England vehicle attending breakdown
- 13:26 Second air ambulance for Scotland planned
- 13:26 Theatr Clwyd welcomes touring production of A Midsummer Night's Dream
- 13:26 Specialist recruiter to grow own ranks
- 13:25 Raunds Music Festival is back with a bang
- 13:25 Inquests opened into death of couple struck by train in Doncaster