Aviation industry agrees deal to cut CO2 emissions
The first deal limiting greenhouse gases from international aviation has been sealed after years of wrangling.
From 2020, any increase in airline CO2 emissions will be offset by activities like tree planting, which soak up CO2.
The deal comes in a momentous week for climate policy when the Paris agreement to stabilise climate change passed a key threshold for becoming law.
Scientists applauded both commitments, but warned that plans to cut emissions are far too weak.
The aviation deal was agreed in Montreal by national representatives at the International Civil Aviation Organisation, ICAO.... read more
- 07:43 Sheffield murder probe: everything we know so far
- 07:43 Pedestrian taken to hospital with leg injury after 'hit-and-run'...
- 07:42 Meet Pictish art enthusiast Marianna Lines
- 07:42 Cumbrian mum's terror as she faced Westminster terrorist
- 07:41 On This Day: Why speeding ticket was bill-a-wrong, Wembley fever &...
- 07:41 Grace to lose long locks for charity
- 07:41 11 of the cheapest properties for sale in North Lincolnshire
- 07:41 Scunthorpe man sentenced for assault by beating
- 07:41 Lorries too large for this road are 'putting lives in danger'
- 07:41 North Lincolnshire first place in UK to host Eurotrials
- 07:41 When will the clocks change in 2017? Here's what you need to know
- 07:41 Over one million UK homeowners on wrong mortgage deal
- 07:38 Man accused of damaging 4X4
- 07:37 VIDEO: Just Alfie launches DT Lunchtime Live
- 07:37 Northants ace Crook in top condition ahead of new campaign
- 07:31 Russell Howard: Why I am always worried about outstaying my welcome
- 07:29 'Knowing I'm doing it for Sam gives me reason to get up in the...
- 07:29 Were you caught on camera at the Winter Gardens in 2000/2001?
- 07:29 Watching England play 'was a breath of fresh air' - Grimsby Town...
- 07:29 Grimsby Town boss Marcus Bignot wants to get back 'that winning...
- 07:29 Dog walker attacked with hammer after being asked for a cigarette
- 07:29 Devastating blow for brave battler Sam as family launch bucket list...
- 07:27 Huddersfield nostalgia: Spring snapshots
- 07:27 Banned teenage driver was back behind the wheel - two months later
- 07:25 Hunt for Shifnal bank robbery gunman
- 07:25 Antoine Griezmann will reject Chelsea to join Manchester United
- 07:20 Best cheap hotels in Birmingham and how they compare
- 07:20 West Brom digest: Broken wing; Mowbray's men; life after 40;...
- 07:20 Birmingham City digest: Feel the Forss; Zola's Inter City; Ryan's...
- 07:20 Aston Villa digest: Gabby defiant; Rushian back; Taylor sees red;...