Aviation industry agrees deal to cut CO2 emissions
The first deal limiting greenhouse gases from international aviation has been sealed after years of wrangling.
From 2020, any increase in airline CO2 emissions will be offset by activities like tree planting, which soak up CO2.
The deal comes in a momentous week for climate policy when the Paris agreement to stabilise climate change passed a key threshold for becoming law.
Scientists applauded both commitments, but warned that plans to cut emissions are far too weak.
The aviation deal was agreed in Montreal by national representatives at the International Civil Aviation Organisation, ICAO.... read more
- 12:01 Cattle trough and dolly tubs stolen from West Rasen and Osgodby
- 12:01 Arsenal bring in All Blacks psychologist to improve mental...
- 12:01 Antonio Conte reveals why he dropped Cesc Fabregas for Chelsea’s...
- 12:01 Families describe how they fled for their lives from blazing hotel...
- 11:58 Putting their best foot forward... Clarks staff in Boston leave...
- 11:57 Arsenal will not win title unless Alexis Sanchez and Mesut Ozil...
- 11:57 Heartachingly cute bulldog demands 6 belly rubs in a single minute
- 11:57 Why Malaysia’s Sabah region should be your next holiday destination
- 11:56 Named and shamed: Who's been in Derbyshire's courts?
- 11:55 Scunthorpe defeat is not the end of the world: How Twitter reacted
- 11:54 Greek parliament approves 2017 budget projecting return to strong...
- 11:54 Police are warned: No promise of extra cash
- 11:54 Market 'paradigm shift' may be under way, but more volatility...
- 11:48 Iran signs $16bn deal to buy 80 Boeing aircraft
- 11:48 Boris Johnson 'misreported' over Saudi Arabia
- 11:44 ECB's Weidmann - can't exclude option of state joining Italy bank...
- 11:44 Shrinking FX market could pose stability risk - BIS
- 11:42 Faulty lights spark safety fears
- 11:42 Farmers’ fears about violent crime
- 11:39 Live coverage of second murder investigation following fatal...
- 11:35 BREAKING: 17 people dead after two girls blow themselves up in...
- 11:35 It’s a record - Horncastle RBL raises appeal cash
- 11:35 Cattle trough and dolly tubs stolen from West Rasen and Osgodby
- 11:34 Here comes the bride... soaking wet! Photographer holds incredible...
- 11:34 Uber driver clocks 'longest ride in history' after taking customer...
- 11:34 Fantasy holiday! Bachelor reject Kiki Morris flaunts her bronzed...
- 11:33 Wow! Giant Star Wars AT-ACT built by Lincolnshire inventor
- 11:31 Chelsea star offered mammoth contract to leave Stamford Bridge
- 11:31 Theo Walcott: This is why Arsenal are top of the table
- 11:30 Rent-a-Jew tells you all you need to know about Jews