Avalanche: Online crime network hit in global operation
One of the world's biggest networks of hijacked computers has been dismantled after a four-year investigation, the EU law enforcement agency Europol says.
The Avalanche network was used to target online bank customers with phishing and spam emails, it adds.
More than a million emails were sent per week with malicious files or links. When users opened them, their infected computers became part of the network.
Five people have been arrested, but Europol has not said where.
According to Europol's statement:
The operation searched 37 premises and seized 39 servers, supported by investigators... read more
- 08:36 Teenage girl dies after incident in Carlisle
- 08:35 Drugs stolen in pharmacy raid
- 08:35 The golden city! Chinese tourists vote the Gold Coast the BEST...
- 08:35 The moment Harrison Ford came TERRIFYINGLY close to an air...
- 08:35 Selection in EFL Cup final could be tipping point amid conflicting...
- 08:35 From the white sands of The Whitsundays to the golden bays of the...
- 08:35 One legacy helps another
- 08:35 Escaped prisoner Shaun Walmsley still on the loose
- 08:35 US V EU: Trump aide in 'anti-Brussels slap down behind closed...
- 08:35 Woman jailed ‘for having sex with a dog’
- 08:34 Crash leads to partial closure of M1
- 08:34 Man seriously injured in stabbing
- 08:34 Hong Kong stocks at 18-1/2-month high on GDP, mainland inflows
- 08:34 Playbox Theatre will support Syria aid appeal by staging play
- 08:33 Fish and Chips the cats love going on outdoor adventures with...
- 08:33 Playbox Theatre will support Syria aid appeal by staging play
- 08:32 ‘Vote them all out’: Fury at Chapel St Leonards Parish Council
- 08:32 Time to check your change! The most valuable £1 coins in...
- 08:31 Surviving South Yorkshire D Day veterans offered free trip to...
- 08:31 Nearly 200 properties hit by power cut in Sheffield
- 08:30 Hibs and Hearts get ready to do battle in Scottish Cup replay and...
- 08:30 80mph winds expected to hit Britain as Storm Doris arrives
- 08:30 Force India confirm driver line-up ahead of 2017 F1 car launch
- 08:27 Britain's McBride sees challenging second half, keeps FY outlook
- 08:27 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel news, weather and fun features
- 08:26 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel news, weather and fun features
- 08:26 The Hoosiers and Toploader headline Tidal Waves Beach Festival at...
- 08:26 Twenty-year-old Bethany set to release fourth book in two years
- 08:26 The morning news headlines: Door won't shut on EU migrant workers -...
- 08:26 80mph winds expected to hit Britain as Storm Doris arrives