Autumn Statement: Government defends post-Brexit economy forecasts
The government has defended forecasts for the economy in the Chancellor's Autumn Statement after fierce criticism by some pro-Brexit MPs.
Philip Hammond quoted Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) predictions of increases in borrowing and reductions in economic growth following Brexit.
Ex-minister Iain Duncan Smith claimed the OBR "hasn't got anything right."
But treasury minister David Gauke said it was right to work on the basis that the OBR forecasts were correct.
Mr Hammond told MPs the UK's deficit would no longer be cleared by 2020, while the OBR estimated the UK would... read more
- 11:46 Fuel prices are slashed at Morrisons
- 11:46 Name released of man, 52, killed in crash as coroner prepares to...
- 11:46 Berwick victory sees them climb to third
- 11:46 Everton FC striker Oumar Niasse on the penalty decision that...
- 11:45 RUMOUR MILL: Manchester United line up £40m move for Danny Rose,...
- 11:44 Man kicks off after chippy staff pour gravy on his chips in Manchester
- 11:44 Alcester firm is region’s top exporter
- 11:44 Nottinghamshire Police backs charity’s Road Safety Week
- 11:44 Popular Doncaster pub closes down for refurbishment amid Facebook...
- 11:43 Charles Bronson's new wife defends controversial wedding as she...
- 11:43 Man in serious condition after Scarborough assault
- 11:43 Carlisle's city centre Argos to close
- 11:43 Weather warning of rain issued for Cumbria
- 11:43 Buchanan insists Cobblers confidence remains high despite...
- 11:42 Hepatitis A vaccinations at nursery after child contracts illness
- 11:42 Why Black Friday ‘deals’ aren't always what they seem
- 11:42 ‘Step in, pause, and fix Universal Credit’, Batley and Spen MP...
- 11:42 Delays on M53 near Chester after skip wagon sheds load
- 11:42 Update: Man charged with Knightcote murder
- 11:41 What is the law on smacking children in Derby as Wales moves...
- 11:41 Liverpool's 'cheeriest' homeless person has put his Christmas...
- 11:41 240,000 flock to Durham’s Lumiere spectacular
- 11:40 Nottinghamshire Police backs charity’s Road Safety Week
- 11:40 Pupils ‘do their thing’ for Children in Need
- 11:40 Cops seize samurai sword from 15-year-old Northampton boy during...
- 11:40 Twins almost set house on fire during 101 birthday celebrations
- 11:40 Update: Man charged with Knightcote murder
- 11:39 Weather warning issued for rain in Cumbria on Wednesday
- 11:39 "Determined" Ulverston swimmer raises £1500 for Children in Need
- 11:38 Cities fight to win key EU agencies from London