Autumn Statement: Feeling the pain of the forecasters
You have to feel the Office for Budget Responsibility's pain.
By next Tuesday, the OBR has to come up with forecasts of what will happen to the UK economy and the government finances over the next five years.
The Act of Parliament that created the OBR said that its forecasts had to be based on government policies and "may not consider what the effect of any alternative policies would be".
And here you see the problem facing the OBR in predicting what would happen to the economy and the public finances over the next five years.
Government policy is to trigger Article 50 in March... read more
- 05:41 Lionel Messi: Argentina manager issues urgent message to fans
- 05:40 How old are Prince William, Kate Middleton, Prince Harry and...
- 05:39 Upskirting bill to be introduced by the government
- 05:37 Awaiting the dawn at Stonehenge: midnight parties - archive, 1928
- 05:35 McLaren make huge offer for 'king of the market' Daniel Ricciardo –...
- 05:31 Alder Hey rated 'outstandingly' caring in most recent inspection...
- 05:31 Brave police officers risked their lives to stop man falling from...
- 05:25 If your children have these names you can get into Legoland Windsor...
- 05:24 From Stonehenge to Iceland's Arctic Henge, by motorbike – photo essay
- 05:21 Birmingham Post Business Awards sponsors enjoy Belfry breakfast
- 05:21 'I trust him': Minnesota crowd split on immigration but refuse to...
- 05:16 Oldest Homo sapiens bones ever found shake foundations of the human...
- 05:15 England’s Ruben Loftus-Cheek wants bigger Chelsea role or may leave
- 05:07 'Let the adventure begin!' - What you had to say about the high...
- 05:07 Shocking pictures show the horrific places where homeless people...
- 04:43 Absolute Bowie celebrates the life of David Bowie at Burton's...
- 04:39 The Grimsby taxi drivers who have become unlikely icons of...
- 04:36 Jacinda Ardern #babywatch sends New Zealand media gaga
- 04:34 Hull man hacks victim's emails and calls them 90 times a day
- 04:34 Heart Awards 2018: How to nominate your unsung hero
- 04:27 Charlottesville organiser plans Washington DC rally
- 04:16 Tesco 'planning' discount chain to take on Aldi and Lidl
- 04:06 In pictures: Isle of Wight Festival at 50
- 04:06 Ed Sheeran: Travel and ticket warning for Cardiff concerts
- 04:06 Family's £15k debt from fight against Section 322(5) immigration rule
- 04:03 National Enquirer publisher subpoenaed in Michael Cohen inquiry
- 03:42 Research backs English as key to development
- 03:38 Trump at rally: family separation outcry is a distraction by Democrats
- 03:28 Sex, drugs and A&E: 10 charts on how the under-30s use the NHS
- 03:21 Donald Trump 'lacks character' for hotel liquor licence