Austria plans to convert or demolish house Hitler was born in
Austria plans to convert and possibly tear down the house Hitler was born in to prevent it becoming a pilgrimage site for neo-Nazis, the Interior Ministry said on Monday.
Austria had already ordered the compulsory purchase of the building in Braunau am Inn, a town on the border with Germany where Adolf Hitler was born on April 20, 1889.
Now a committee of experts including historians, officials and the head of Austria's main Jewish organisation has recommended that a "thorough architectural rearrangement" be carried out, and Interior Minister Wolfgang Sobotka intends to follow... read more
- 00:18 Police tackle vehicle offences in Clayton-le-Woods
- 00:17 Some psychosis cases an 'immune disorder'
- 00:17 Children's online junk food ads banned by industry
- 00:17 Chelsea consider raid for Arsenal star Alexis Sanchez: Antonio...
- 00:17 Roy Keane says Leicester are 'in big trouble' as he claims the club...
- 00:17 Karim Benzema becomes sixth player to score 50 Champions League...
- 00:16 Getting ready for the world of work
- 00:12 Brexit: French financial regulator wooing London banks
- 00:11 Tamil Nadu faces political vacuum after Jayalalitha's death
- 00:11 Why has this Nobel winner been ignored for 30 years?
- 00:10 Hundreds of police accused of sexual exploitation
- 00:08 Australian regulator will not block ChemChina's Syngenta bid
- 00:08 UK housing, hiring stay resilient despite Brexit vote - surveys
- 00:06 ‘It is absolutely TERRIBLE’ rants Leicester City fan after 5-0...
- 00:06 Kettering parents jailed for 'sickening' baby abuse
- 00:06 Girl, 8, injured in Edinburgh 'stabbing'
- 00:05 Junk food advertising ban aims to tackle childhood obesity
- 00:02 Baby boomers 'should work for longer to stay healthy'
- 00:02 Junk food ads targeting children banned in non-broadcast media
- 00:02 Babies missing out on key checks after fall in health visitor numbers
- 00:02 Slaven Bilic confident he can turn things around at West Ham after...
- 23:58 Religious leaders push for Muslim alternative to Peppa Pig
- 23:56 Arsenal should not sign Julian Draxler, says Lothar Matthaus
- 23:53 Rio Ferdinand names Arsenal and Spurs men as best Premier...
- 23:47 Britain softens its Brexit stance—just as the EU hardens its own
- 23:40 Exclusive - Teva investigating allegations by tipster of bribery in...
- 23:40 Asia shares hit one-month peak, bonds bet on ECB support
- 23:39 Dozens killed in west Iraq air strike, MPs and medics say
- 23:35 Wall Street: Dow Jones and S&P 500 hit fresh records
- 23:34 Zinedine Zidane wants to avoid old club Juventus... but Real Madrid...