Australia gap year traveller died on first dive after 'failings'
Various failings led up to the drowning of a British backpacker on the Great Barrier Reef during her first ever dive, a coroner ruled.
Bethany Farrell, 23, of Colchester, Essex, was scuba diving off the idyllic Whitsunday Islands in Queensland, Australia, just a week into her gap year when she drowned.
Miss Farrell, an English graduate, was on an introductory dive trip with a friend when she panicked and drowned after becoming separated from her instructor, Chelmsford Coroner's Court heard.
Her father, Patrick, 48, called for the company - named in court as DL20 Trading Pty Ltd - to be... read more
- 09:53 Egyptian Premier League moves fixtures so nation can watch Mohamed...
- 09:53 House extension destroyed in blaze
- 09:53 Investigation to begin today into cause of Peckleton explosion
- 09:53 Chris Coleman still in the dark but desperate to be big part of...
- 09:51 PREMIER LEAGUE & FA CUP PREVIEW: Heavyweight tie as Man Utd face...
- 09:51 Competition: Win tickets to Burnley's Reel Cinema
- 09:50 Closure of Denstone Stores prompts concern older villagers could...
- 09:49 Firefighters tackle digger blaze in South Cumbria
- 09:49 Mum who gave birth at Northampton General Hospital names baby after...
- 09:49 Firefighters tackle house fire on the Fairmead Estate in Melton
- 09:48 Half of drivers think speeding is acceptable, poll finds
- 09:48 ‘The Sagas of Noggin the Nog’ comes to Great Carlton
- 09:48 Update: Collision involving ‘bus and tractor’ on the A16 at Grainsby
- 09:46 Fast and furious: Half of drivers think speeding is acceptable,...
- 09:45 Knife crime rises in Northumbria
- 09:44 New spring food festival arrives in Banbury this weekend
- 09:44 Barclays boss used bank's security team to hunt for whistleblower
- 09:43 Sunderland youngsters could be offered new deals as Chris Coleman...
- 09:43 Car fire spreads to three other vehicles during early morning blaze
- 09:43 Call for Carlisle to become major transportation hub
- 09:43 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and more
- 09:42 Call for Carlisle to become major transportation hub
- 09:41 Fast and furious: Half of drivers think speeding is acceptable,...
- 09:40 Man, 70, remains in hospital after Fleetwood crash
- 09:40 Shop explosion father speaks of feeling 'powerless' at seeing the...
- 09:39 Best places to buy a hot tub for summer 2018 including Aldi, Asda,...
- 09:39 Jeetan Patel delighted by new recruit's excitement to be playing...
- 09:39 This horrifying Snapchat feature could put kids at risk of paedophiles
- 09:39 Crazed Man United fan butchers cheating wife with samurai sword...
- 09:39 The day Dale Winton was called a 'poof' in Sheffield - and the...