Australia Day: City shifts celebrations to 'inclusive alternative'
A Western Australian port city will delay celebrating Australia's national day after consulting with Aboriginal elders.
The Australia Day public holiday marks the arrival of Britain's First Fleet on 26 January 1788.
Celebrations are held around the country, but many Indigenous Australians refer to it as "invasion day".
Fremantle council said it would hold a "culturally inclusive alternative" on 28 January instead.
The celebrations would include citizenship ceremonies that have previously happened on Australia Day.
"We were never trying to say to people they couldn't... read more
- 10:07 In-spire-d way of ‘doing church’
- 10:07 Northumberland Camera Club: Snap to it and join our photo band
- 10:06 This lorry driver's heartfelt letter to people of Derby after being...
- 10:05 Literary and Scientific Society: Inequality and social anxiety
- 10:05 Price of stamps to increase
- 10:03 Arsenal starlet stretchered off after suffering serious looking injury
- 10:03 Derbyshire still high risk area for bird flu
- 10:02 What cheese makes the best cheese on toast?
- 10:00 Driver who speeded along Lincoln's busiest city centre road ordered...
- 10:00 Ask Andy: Should couples have threesomes and how to bat off...
- 09:59 What cheese makes the best cheese on toast?
- 09:58 Chelsea star sends emotional message to Premier League rival
- 09:58 Taliban leader urges Afghans to plant more trees
- 09:56 ECB won't end asset purchase program all of a sudden, Weidmann says
- 09:56 Euro zone economy - real recovery or another Sirens' song?
- 09:54 What cheese makes the best cheese on toast?
- 09:52 How to get 18 holiday days by booking just nine...
- 09:48 3,000 people to have no Job Centre if Government plans go ahead
- 09:48 South African deputy finance minister named in police probe -...
- 09:46 What cheese makes the best cheese on toast?
- 09:45 What cheese makes the best cheese on toast?
- 09:45 PNE focus on the kids
- 09:44 Locked up in February: Pimps and violent kidnappers among Coventry...
- 09:44 COLUMN: Digital world opens door to crime
- 09:44 Nine shops we've loved and lost in Nuneaton
- 09:44 How to get 18 holiday days by booking just nine...
- 09:42 Men who sup more than seven pints of beer a week for several years...
- 09:41 COLUMN: Digital world opens door to crime
- 09:41 How to get 18 holiday days by booking just nine...
- 09:40 How to get 18 holiday days by booking just nine...