At least 50 killed in stampede after police open fire at religious festival
At least 50 people have been killed after police opened fire at protesters during a religious festival in Ethiopia.
Thousands of people had gathered at a sacred lake in the town of Bishoftu to take part in the Irreecha ceremony, which marks the end of the rainy season.
But the event quickly turned violent with protesters throwing stones and bottles at each other and others making anti-government gestures, by crossing their wrists above their heads.
MORE: Living baby and remains of dead newborn found in suitcase in woman’s flat At least 50 people fell on top of each other into a ditch after... read more
- 12:11 Man wakes up to 'disturbing' knife-point robbery
- 12:11 Mourners line street for popular businesswoman Alison Denton - video
- 12:10 POLL: Will Donald Trump's presidency be a good thing for Yorkshire?
- 12:10 Two Telford men arrested as £2,500 of cannabis seized in police raid
- 12:09 Tickets due on sale for Aled Jones concert with Hartlepool Male...
- 12:09 Fylde coat shopping outlet in bumper year claim
- 12:09 Concerns raised following report into treatment of dementia sufferers
- 12:09 Top 10 most complained about adverts of 2016
- 12:09 Woman robbed of mobile phone in Northampton town centre on a...
- 12:09 Fylde coast solicitors aid great walk
- 12:09 Nissan boss confident UK will negotiate Brexit deal to safeguard...
- 12:09 Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino insists superb form is down to...
- 12:08 REVEALED: Hospital visitors hit with £13.3 MILLION in parking fines...
- 12:08 Chelsea goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois wants Real Madrid summer switch
- 12:08 Teenagers who went missing from school together found safe and well
- 12:08 Woman who tried to fight off robber is punched in face
- 12:08 Top 10 most complained about adverts of 2016
- 12:08 Coopers Tavern 'heritage and tradition' to be preserved says...
- 12:08 Ben Turner: it doesn't matter who Burton Albion get points against
- 12:07 Why if your cat goes missing in Gwynedd or Anglesey you're less...
- 12:07 Historical Institutional Abuse Inquiry: Nuns abused children in...
- 12:07 The A-Z of sexual fetishes – how many can you tick off?
- 12:07 Why not make this vegan macaroni cheese recipe today?
- 12:07 Man is wanted in connection with theft of formula milk
- 12:07 Sol Campbell gives insight into Alexis Sanchez's contract talks...
- 12:07 Council launches scheme to improve visitor accommodation
- 12:07 Leeds clear favourites to beat Aston Villa and Newcastle to Premier...
- 12:07 Top 10 most complained about adverts of 2016
- 12:07 Heritage grants to help High Peak businesses restore frontages
- 12:07 Gin Society Festival is coming to Buxton