At least 20 Iraqi Sunni tribal fighters killed in mistaken airstrike - police
At least 20 Sunni tribal fighters were killed in a airstrike south of Mosul in the early hours of Wednesday when they were mistaken for Islamic State militants, Iraqi police said.
Whether the aircraft that carried out the attack belonged to the Iraqi air force or the U.S.-led coalition could not be determined.
A spokesman for the coalition in Baghdad couldn't confirm if it had planes in the air at the time of the attack, around 1 a.m. (2200 GMT Tuesday), near Qayyara, according to a local police and a tribal leader.
Qayyara is located 60 kilometres (about 40 miles) south of Mosul, Islamic... read more
- 09:35 Hair: The Musical 50th Anniversary REVIEW: A lively revival
- 09:35 MH370: Malaysia in deal with US firm to restart plane search
- 09:34 Motorists warned of long delays as concrete block causes havoc on...
- 09:34 Lancashire County Council's £28m cost of care for region's...
- 09:34 Liverpool news LIVE updates: Barcelona Coutinho bid, Milner not for...
- 09:33 Iranian told he cannot stay in UK
- 09:33 Orange walks at risk following fresh legal advice
- 09:32 Kevin De Bruyne names Mancester City’s main rival for the Premier...
- 09:32 Properties evacuated in Cleveleys after 'gas leak' fears
- 09:32 Chelsea staff fear ‘dead man walking’ Antonio Conte will be sacked
- 09:32 Motorists warned of long delays as concrete block causes havoc on...
- 09:31 Premier League predictions: Paul Merson calls the scores for this...
- 09:30 Council to decide how to demolish the Futurist
- 09:30 Dunfermline are missing Joe Cardle, admits boss Allan Johnston
- 09:30 Japan's 'living artwork' invents new fashion style
- 09:29 Chester playground company backs wildlife charity project to help...
- 09:28 Grandparents’ refugee love story inspires Morecambe comedian
- 09:28 Purse and medication stolen in Louth
- 09:27 Barcelona line up January move for Ajax's 18-year-old defender...
- 09:27 Arsenal Player Ratings: How did Jack Wilshere, Olivier Giroud and...
- 09:26 Storm Brian warning extended across the whole of Cumbria
- 09:26 Motorists warned of long delays as concrete block causes havoc on...
- 09:26 Teenager's sports dream rescued by Harrogate optician
- 09:24 Tributes as ex-Doncaster Rovers fans' director and former Donny Dog...
- 09:22 Tribute paid to former teacher killed in crash
- 09:22 Storm Brian will cause strong winds and rain this weekend in Derby
- 09:22 Motorists warned of long delays as concrete block causes havoc on...
- 09:21 Brawl In Cell Block 99 REVIEW: Approach with caution
- 09:21 The Death Of Stalin review: Dead funny satire of ruthless politics
- 09:21 North East ambulance crew honoured with Queen’s Medal