Asking the big questions about the ethics of New Scientist's sponsorship choices
Where does science as an abstract search for truth end, and ethical judgement begin? This thorny question came up earlier this year in controversies around the 'March for Science'. Should it be seen as a political march? Is science neutral or should it take moral positions?
Similar issues are now being raised by campaigners criticising the New Scientist Live event for its sponsorship choices. A four-day ‘festival of ideas’, the event lists eight major corporate sponsors on its website.
One is an arms company (BAE Systems) embroiled in controversy about its trade deals with Saudi Arabia. BAE... read more
- 13:47 Rival beekeepers blamed over rise in hive heists in Belgium
- 13:45 Evil Carl Madigan's violent past - he broke bus driver's jaw when...
- 13:45 Controlling and violent husband kept abused wife a prisoner in...
- 13:45 Former Birmingham City man has just landed a new job
- 13:45 Residents won't use "hopeless" bus services in Solihull, warning
- 13:45 Gatecrasher hosting huge party in a cathedral just 30 minutes from...
- 13:45 Birmingham set for mini-heatwave as temperatures soar to 27C next week
- 13:45 Barber ‘bullies boy on Facebook for complaining about Dumb and...
- 13:45 Linton Bridge reopens to traffic after closurer
- 13:45 Chilling video shows toddler scaling ‘unclimbable’ swimming pool...
- 13:44 There's better news on the jobs front for Coventry and Warwickshire
- 13:44 Get the barbecue out - Mediterranean plume to sweep Britain
- 13:44 Crimes which shook Leicestershire - and some remain unsolved
- 13:42 Óscar Tabárez: unbowed by illness and adding beauty to Uruguay’s grit
- 13:41 Blood-sucking flies to toxic caterpillars: the insects set to swarm...
- 13:41 'Near miss' road incident sees Ashby farm's illegal business...
- 13:39 Edible coating allows avocados to stay ripe for twice as long
- 13:39 Government will review ban on cannabis for medicinal use
- 13:39 Paul Williams MP: ‘We need to transfer power from hospitals to GPs’
- 13:38 Medicinal cannabis use to be reviewed by government
- 13:38 'County will rise above gloomy predictions'
- 13:38 Subway aims for 75 new outlets in North West
- 13:37 Linton Bridge reopens to traffic after closurer
- 13:36 Siblings in six-month challenge after dad's cancer diagnosis
- 13:35 Wave of support for school's ban on parents wearing pyjamas
- 13:35 Super League side Hull Kingston Rovers team up with Coventry Bears
- 13:35 Former Coventry City goalkeeper signs up at League One rivals
- 13:35 When are Coventry City's 2018-19 League One fixtures announced?
- 13:35 When does the transfer window close in summer 2018 - all you need...
- 13:32 Mum accused of biting woman's finger off in garden fight says trial...