Asian shares rise, dollar firms after upbeat U.S. data
Asian shares shrugged off a sluggish start and pushed higher on Tuesday, with Japanese markets leading the way after an upbeat U.S. manufacturing survey bolstered the dollar.
Australian shares slipped 0.2 percent after Australia's central bank kept its cash rate steady at 1.5 percent on Tuesday, a widely expected decision as it assesses the impact of its May and August rate cuts.
"We think the case for no more cuts is strengthening," says Paul Bloxham, chief economist Australia at HSBC. "Economic growth is strong, commodity prices have risen, and the drag from the mining... read more
- 11:34 Generous man says thank you to Northampton people for hundreds of...
- 11:34 Trading standards warn over illegally-imported puppies
- 11:34 Stabbing in Webster Street, Derby - our full report from the scene
- 11:34 Justice secretary praises our campaign calling for tougher...
- 11:34 Dramatic scenes as bungling car thieves crashed vehicle catches...
- 11:32 Film reviews: Hero or villain?
- 11:32 Bridge academies are falling down
- 11:32 The West’s policies towards Islamic countries backfire spectacularly
- 11:33 Christmas hair video tutorial: Here’s how to create a Christmas...
- 11:32 The elephant in the room
- 11:32 Hypocrisy over Saudi Arabia
- 11:32 World in brief: Friday December 9 2016
- 11:32 South Korea’s President Park faces impeachment charge
- 11:32 Assad: Winning Aleppo siege is a landmark moment
- 11:33 Campaign to build bridge over ‘danger bypass’ after accident
- 11:32 Southern strike is back on track
- 11:32 Anti-poverty group takes aim at CDC
- 11:32 Top judges wrap up Brexit hearing
- 11:32 Christmas comes early at South Tyneside’s newest visitor attraction
- 11:32 Justice secretary praises our campaign calling for tougher...
- 11:32 City centre Victorian church could be turned into bar or restaurant
- 11:32 Christmas message sent to supporters of policeman with cancer
- 11:32 Consultations to be held over closure of Wainfleet surgery
- 11:32 Police to contact MP Michelle Thomson over rape ordeal at 14
- 11:31 Web shoppers warned over Facebook Marketplace fraud
- 11:31 Coming together to share happy memories at Harrogate’s Light up a...
- 11:31 Louth man, 63, admits stealing cash from Jacksons Butchers
- 11:30 Greg Cunningham: exclusive PNE column
- 11:29 When Santa got stuck in the mineshaft
- 11:29 Tamworth ABC's Ryan Hatton is crowned national champion for the...