Asia shares slip as U.S. earnings disappoint, dollar gains
Asian shares hit three-week lows on Wednesday after a dour start to Wall Street's earnings season knocked U.S. stocks, while the dollar and Treasury yields were at multi-month highs on growing expectations of a U.S. interest rate hike in December.
The British pound jumped back from lows in a volatile trading session, though concerns about a damaging "hard Brexit" are likely to keep the currency under pressure.
European shares were expected to be steady to slightly higher, with spread-betters looking for a rise of 0.2 percent in Germany's DAX, a 0.1 percent gain in France's CAC and... read more
- 06:28 Woman gets stuck behind 94 tractors while going into labour
- 06:28 Baby has rare condition which gives her hair like Albert Einstein
- 06:27 Hartlepool MP to act on Jehovah’s Witness concerns from former...
- 06:27 Troubled primary school facing financial problems which could lead...
- 06:27 Work programme helps fill roles at new Subway set to open in summer
- 06:27 Call for tougher sentences for weapons offences as fraction get...
- 06:27 Work well underway on new Lidl store set to open in Hartlepool
- 06:27 Knitters urged to make new outfits for Bradley Lowery Foundation...
- 06:25 Having more sex might improve your memory
- 06:25 Over a quarter of UK millennials are up for dating someone much older
- 06:23 The friend effect: why the secret of health and happiness is...
- 06:22 No food, no water: African migrants recount terrifying Atlantic...
- 06:20 Authors of “Fit at Mid-Life” book urge others to try fit at 50...
- 06:20 Public urged to share their NHS stories for 70th anniversary
- 06:20 Cristiano Ronaldo wishes he was facing Man Utd not Liverpool in...
- 06:18 Chris Marshall: Reaction to special constable in a hijab says a lot
- 06:18 Leader comment: Kirk should sound trumpet over sexism
- 06:18 Leader comment: A dated approach to history
- 06:18 Scots medicial chiefs warn NHS ‘stretched to the limit’ by Brexit
- 06:18 Scots civic leaders launch declaration to prevent Brexit
- 06:18 Edinburgh schools review decision postponed
- 06:14 Government was too slow to spot Carillion's trouble brewing – MPs
- 06:13 Double standards
- 06:13 The vulnerable need more protection
- 06:10 Man Utd star Juan Mata has classy message for Chelsea and fans...
- 06:09 Jack Catterall to cheer on Terry Flanagan ahead of potential world...
- 06:09 Preston boxer Amalie goes for European glory in Bulgaria
- 06:09 Three-year deal is Darnell Fisher’s reward for strong first season...
- 06:08 Study suggests Grammar school students unlikely to do better than...
- 06:05 Professor Brigid Daniel: Teachers are in a class of their own