Asia shares slip as U.S. earnings disappoint, dollar gains
Asian shares hit three-week lows on Wednesday after a dour start to Wall Street's earnings season knocked U.S. stocks, while the dollar and Treasury yields were at multi-month highs on growing expectations of a U.S. interest rate hike in December.
The British pound jumped back from lows in a volatile trading session, though concerns about a damaging "hard Brexit" are likely to keep the currency under pressure.
European shares were expected to be steady to slightly higher, with spread-betters looking for a rise of 0.2 percent in Germany's DAX, a 0.1 percent gain in France's CAC and... read more
- 14:55 Arsene Wenger reveals all on injury to key Arsenal man
- 14:55 Novak Djokovic's former coach: This is why he lost to Denis Istomin...
- 14:55 U.S housing starts surge in December; jobless claims near 43-year low
- 14:54 ‘We knew we had to go in’ say flat fire heroes
- 14:54 Centres to go under shake up of services for children
- 14:54 Tamworth FC: Youngsters from Amington enjoy a memorable meeting...
- 14:54 Additional one-lane closures announced for Tyne Tunnel
- 14:54 Diego Costa slammed: Chelsea star has shown greed, player power is...
- 14:53 Cash stolen in daylight house raid
- 14:52 UKIP's North Cumbria chairman resigns over "appalling" national...
- 14:53 Birmingham City transfer news and rumours LIVE: Blues in talks for...
- 14:52 Dozens of families risk losing their homes due to benefits clampdown
- 14:52 'Lost' holy well said to have mystical powers rediscovered near...
- 14:52 Number of firefighters covering Cumbria now unsafe, claims union
- 14:52 Payment delays and floods recovery 'creating real hardship for...
- 14:52 GP leader leaps in to defend doctors across Cumbria
- 14:52 Carlisle council scraps big rise in Talkin Tarn car parking charge
- 14:51 Samsung Galaxy S8: Release date revealed, price, design and features
- 14:51 xXx video clip: Nina Dobrev blushes at Ruby Rose sex gag in Return...
- 14:51 'I want to kill these dogs': question of whether to cull strays...
- 14:50 Vicky Pattison goes against her Geordie roots by committing...
- 14:50 Get tough approach on litter louts continues
- 14:50 Premier League star backed to make big transfer to top-four club
- 14:50 Additional one-lane closures announced for Tyne Tunnel
- 14:50 Ambulance service makes top 100 list for workplace equality
- 14:49 Company's ire leads to council's fly-tipping clean-up
- 14:49 Martin Keown: This is what went wrong for Memphis Deapy at...
- 14:49 Mauricio Pochettino reveals Tottenham transfer plans
- 14:48 Hetty’s centenary celebration
- 14:48 Centres to go under shake up of services for children