Ashton Fabrics, in Theatre Walk, Derby, to close because owner says he can't afford 'high rent'
A market trader said he is closing down his Derby city centre business because he cannot afford the high rent charged by the city council.
Roshan Gogna - who owns Ashton Fabrics, in Theatre Walk - said, as well as rent, he was hit by another charge imposed to pay for a local business improvement scheme. The 69-year-old is closing the business, which has been in Derby for five years, at the end of October and is selling all stock at a reduced rate to clear the store.
"I'll be here for the next few weeks, selling everything with a discount between 10% and 50%," he said. "Then,... read more
- 08:21 Silk roads and chilled beef - how China is trying to fill a Trump...
- 08:21 Article 50: What does its triggering mean?
- 08:21 Telford flats hit by vandalism
- 08:21 What are the key issues for the Brexit negotiations?
- 08:21 Hospital order made on Shropshire woman who set fire to mother’s home
- 08:21 Sharp rise in Shropshire animal cruelty cases
- 08:21 Poll: Do you agree with plans to limit the number of items allowed...
- 08:20 Brexit's Article 50 to be triggered TODAY - here's what is likely...
- 08:20 Woman and teenager charged in connection with death of Pedro Godinho
- 08:20 Does your wallet or purse contain a new £1 coin worth £250?
- 08:19 The blood bike Bishop who transports vital packages across the region
- 08:19 Kath Cassidy's son pays tribute to the Newcastle United stalwart...
- 08:19 Convictions for cruelty against animals in the North East fall, but...
- 08:19 Crash between car and bike causing tailbacks on A46
- 08:18 Adam Lallana could miss as many as six Premier League games due to...
- 08:18 French ex-PM Valls backs Macron for president
- 08:17 Suspension for Shropshire nurse who altered notes of a teenage boy...
- 08:17 Shame of South Yorkshire's 9000 animal cruelty complaints
- 08:17 Letter: Osborne’s roles show us why parliament must be overhauled
- 08:17 Police probe claims empty Coca Cola cans 'contaminated with...
- 08:16 Clean sheet thrills Edinburgh as Cobblers boss targets final flourish
- 08:15 Heartfelt tribute to 'wonderful' former Grimsby teacher Marjorie Hogg
- 08:14 Director of Cedar Court Dementia Care Home in Bretby vows to act...
- 08:14 'You behaved like an animal' - Knife-wielding South Yorkshire thug...
- 08:13 Freak accident forces Cumbrian couple to postpone epic China trip
- 08:13 Pics: Man United ace sparks chaotic airport scenes ahead of...
- 08:13 Deal making in rude health despite fears over economy
- 08:12 RNLI urges coast users to be safe after lifeboats called out 1,000...
- 08:12 ARTICLE 50: Once the UK leaves the EU, is there any way back in?
- 08:11 Theresa May has signed Article 50 letter – here’s what happens next