As John Stones faces Everton for the first time since his £50m move... it's clear Pep Guardiola is moulding him into the complete defender
There was a moment during England’s draw in Slovenia this week when John Stones, facing his own goal and being chased down by a forward, thought about performing a step-over in a bid to evade his pursuer. He thought about keeping the ball alive and going back to Joe Hart, too.
Instead, ignoring his instincts, he simply turned before booting clear. There was soon another example of this not-so-subtle change in Stones’ mindset, when again he dispensed with class and went for caution, hoofing downfield as the pressure mounted on a ragged England.
The year-long criticism of our country’s finest... read more
- 00:07 How plastic became a victim of its own success
- 00:07 How jeans giant Levi Strauss got its mojo back
- 00:07 Labour to offer some women earlier retirement option
- 00:07 Gender pay gap widens for managers
- 00:07 Labour will allow women hit by state pension age changes to retire...
- 00:06 World of entertainment joins the NFL as they #taketheknee and defy...
- 00:06 Gaz Beadle gets new inking dedicated to his unborn child after...
- 00:02 Strictly Come Dancing 2017: Ten million tune in for hottest opening...
- 00:02 EastEnders spoilers: James Willmott-Brown to KILL Kathy Beale in...
- 00:01 Kane able to be ‘one of the world’s best strikers’
- 00:01 Harry Leslie Smith: We can do it again
- 00:01 Sane shows his worth as City dominate at home
- 00:01 Blades boss gets birthday present in Steel City derby
- 00:01 Magpies denied a point by Seagulls
- 00:01 The state is closing its ranks on spycops
- 00:01 The secret state is the real threat to democracy
- 00:01 You can’t be a pessimist and a socialist
- 00:01 Corbyn makes correct EU call
- 00:01 North Korea: Pyongyang stages anti-US rally amid mud-slinging
- 00:01 South Africa: Communists condemn loss of 2,000 gold mining jobs
- 00:01 Women ‘too frightened to travel at night’
- 00:01 Big Issue’s Bird wants renters to get credit
- 00:01 DPAC aims to raise cash for UC training
- 23:55 Paris Saint-Germain offer Edinson Cavani stunning cash bonus to...
- 23:54 On The Road: The family-run club that's changing the old football...
- 23:54 Best and worst of the Laver Cup: Roger Federer emerges as only...
- 23:54 Mike Browne is the soldier turned golfer out to reach the top on...
- 23:54 Shakhtar Donetsk captain Darijo Srna to miss Manchester City clash...
- 23:52 Tennessee church shooting halted by 'extraordinarily brave' usher
- 23:50 West Brom boss Tony Pulis happy with Kieran Gibbs and believes...