News from Art & Culture
Students celebrated the successes of the past to inspire them for the future at an awards ceremony to remember, the last for their headmaster whose impact was hailed immense. Staff, students, parents and civic dignitaries heard a catalogue of successes s
Jimmy Kimmel will host the 2017 Oscars, it has been announced. It will be the first time the US comedian and talk show host has fronted the ceremony, which takes place on 26 February. Kimmel has previously hosted the American Music Awards and has twice f
Disney animation Moana is top of the North American box office for the second week in a row. It took an estimated $28.4m (£22.3m) over the weekend, while Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them kept second spot with $18.5m (£14.5m). Moana, which only ope
A painting by a Ripon student has been selected from hundreds for a prestigious national exhibition at two locations in London. Emma Beaumont’s oil painting of the Gare du Nord, in Paris, will sit alongside only 21 other works in The National Association
An elderly man has died after being involved in a crash on the A64 motorway this weekend. The 76-year-old man was taken to Leeds General Infirmary with serious injuries on Saturday and died in the early hours of yesterday morning. The driver of the other
Harrogate’s Ashville College has scooped the Boarding Initiative of the Year Award at the prestigious TES Independent Schools Awards at London’s Grosvenor House Hotel. The new activities programme, which judges praised as “a very effective project that m
Sixty-six brave children and six even braver staff members from the Duke’s Middle School, Alnwick, gathered for the final sponsored school sleepover to raise funds for Children in Need. Together, the pupils raised just more than £700. The evening was spe
Alnwick: Mr S Anderson, 5 Queens Road, new rear extension. Belford: Sylvia Carr, 2 Clark Place, listed building consent for installation of gas fire central heating system, new gas supply and balanced flue to rear elevation. Guyzance: John Craig, Woodbin
Bob Dylan has written a speech to be delivered at the Nobel Prize ceremony later this week, organisers have said. His words "will be read at the Nobel banquet in Stockholm" on 10 December as he is unable to attend the event, according to the...
Consumers are being warned off buying bargain iPhone chargers online after 99 per cent failed a basic safety test. Out off 400 counterfeit Apple chargers from online suppliers around the world and found that 397 of them failed a basic safety test, accord
A sponsored work-out by pupils at St Paul’s RCVA Primary School in Alnwick has resulted in more than £1,000 being raised for charity. Lisa Jones, of the NSPCC, was delighted to attend an assembly to receive a cheque and to tell the pupils they had raised
Year 5 pupils at St Michael’s CE Primary School, Alnwick, took part in a special Star Wars-themed control workshop. The children took control of a variety of droids and robots and programmed them to navigate around a range of bunkers and hangers. The dro
The first Suffragan Bishop of Berwick to be appointed in over 400 years has been welcomed to north Northumberland. A special service was held at St Aidan’s Church in Bambugh on Sunday, the day after Rt Rev Mark Tanner’s formal installation at Newcastle C
An Andrew Marr interview with French far-right presidential candidate Marine Le Pen broadcast on Remembrance Sunday "was justified", according to Ofcom. The media watchdog will not now investigate further. "We assessed 11 complaints...
Health campaigners in the North East are calling for an increase in taxes on the cheapest alcohol following the publication of a report revealing more working years are lost to alcohol than the 10 most frequent cancer types combined. The report goes on t
- 18:38 Amazon unveils plans for grocery shop with no checkouts
- 18:38 Man taken to Royal Preston Hospital after pub assault
- 18:36 Schoolgirl made abuse allegations after Childline workshop - jury told
- 18:36 Roofer sprayed with CS gas after assaulting police officer
- 18:35 'High-speed' police chase after stolen car in Greenwood Avenue, Hull
- 18:35 UKIP's Nigel Farage greeted by large crowds in Sleaford
- 18:35 Arsenal team news: Full Gunners squad for Champions League trip to...
- 18:33 Police keen to trace this man in connection with train bag theft
- 18:33 The Crusader: Beware if you are buying your gadgets from Europe
- 18:33 Trump meets former Vice President Gore in New York - Gore
- 18:32 Eurogroup agrees on short-term debt relief for Greece - France's Sapin
- 18:31 See Guy Martin attempt new record for fastest crossing of China's...
- 18:30 Liverpool old boy grades every Prem team from the weekend - how did...
- 18:27 West Ham United plot huge bid for ex-Tamworth striker
- 18:24 Gegard Mousasi Exclusive: Dutchman reveals who he'd like to fight next
- 18:23 Belvoir Hunt: Police launch investigation after three foxes killed...
- 18:21 How smoking destroys your pet's health: Cats, dogs and even FISH...
- 18:21 Amazon unveils grocery store with NO CHECKOUT: App equipped with...
- 18:21 Child sex claims against youth coach Hugh Stevenson
- 18:16 Is this the best festive creation in Yorkshire?
- 18:16 Nigel Farage hails 2016 as the year 'little people...
- 18:16 Crash causes long tailbacks on M54 in Telford
- 18:13 Police arrest six people in ONE day suspected of trying to reach UK...
- 18:13 Holiday horror as family 'drugged and robbed' on their way to...
- 18:13 US officials hastily move to reassure China after Trump's chat with...
- 18:12 England coach Trevor Bayliss opens up about dropping Ben Duckett...
- 18:12 England coach Bayliss on Morgan recall for India series: It wasn't...
- 18:12 Motorway roadwork speed limits could be increased
- 18:10 Article 50 Supreme Court case - what you need to know after day one
- 18:10 Diego Costa can win the Golden Boot if I claim PFA Player of the...