News from Art & Culture
"It was this or Nando's. So we thought we'd do this." Michael Ball and Alfie Boe, two of the nation's favourite singers, have joined forces for a new album, packed with Broadway hits and songs from the big screen. Friends since they...
An artwork commemorating Pink Floyd legend Syd Barrett is being unveiled in his home city of Cambridge following years of campaigning by fans for a permanent memorial. Why has it taken so long for the city to fully honour its "Crazy...
Chris Evans and Nick Grimshaw both lost listeners over the last three months, according to the latest industry figures from Rajar. Evans's breakfast show on BBC Radio 2 dropped by 414,000 listeners compared with the previous quarter to 9.06 million. But
MPs call for probe into ‘ridiculous’ tax firm Concentrix as full level of incompetence is revealed FAMILIES were denied benefits by a failed fraud-busting firm on the basis of ludicrous claims such as being in relationships with their kids and even with
Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal is the place to be for outdoor activities this week. Every day until Sunday, October 30 children can discover all that’s amazing about the estate at this time of year with an autumn explorer map. There is also the chance
There are delays to national and local rail services in Northumberland this morning after a signalling problem in the Morpeth area. It was caused by a cable theft in the early hours of the morning and the incident was reported at 5.52am. The disruption i
At the height of the summer season, it produced more than one million picture postcards a week with writing a little message home becoming as much a part of the holiday tradition as day on the beach, or a ‘99 ice cream with a view. J Valentine of Dundee
New homes and a supermarket are among the developments being proposed on the current County Hall, former fire station and Merley Croft sites in Morpeth. Residents will be able to see the plans for the area in Loansdean, which also include smaller retail
Most people would be unable to tell inspirational Harrogate artist Holly Holder is blind - and certainly not if they actually saw her work. The public will get their first chance to see her work in this remarkable woman’s debut solo exhibition which star
An art project inspired by internet memes has opened in Dundee, with the aim of exploring their political usage in the modern era. The exhibition, titled “PILproject 2.0: Russia. Be blinded by an inner light”, opens at the Centrespace Gallery this week a
A social worker who covers north Northumberland has been shortlisted for a major award. Kate Elsdon is in the running to be named Mental Health Social Worker of the Year, as part of the Social Worker of the Year Awards 2016. She works for Northumbria Hea
It’s two months until Christmas, and the reality TV stars of Britain are beginning to crawl out of the woodwork to sell their fitness DVDs. The peddling of various miracle workouts has already begun in earnest and former stars of The Only Way is Essex or
Following publication of Transport Talk and media releases from North Yorkshire County Council, many comments have been received from members of the public. Here is a summary of the points raised, and my responses. The main theme of comments in support o
More than 120 amateur singers from Harrogate will perform two concerts at one of Europe’s leading cultural cities this half term. Members of Rock Up and Sing! will spend four days in Budapest, performing at the Godollo Royal Palace and the MoM Cultural C
If you’re planning a spooky night out with your family and friends for Halloween, here are some of the events taking place throughout the Harrogate District over the next few days. Thursday Spooky fun at Stockeld Park, with a wide range of activities run
- 04:06 BOJ won't try to push down super-long yields - Kuroda
- 03:49 Stop and search: Police training aims to raise standards
- 03:49 A-levels choice 'reduced by funding squeeze'
- 03:48 Data: Aston Villa are top - but of what league?
- 03:38 Doctors' low morale 'puts patients at risk'
- 03:36 OPPO leapfrogs smartphone rivals with ad blitz and sales force
- 03:36 Samsung Electronics vows mobile rebound after third quarter Note 7...
- 03:32 John McDonnell to warn against 'bankers' Brexit'
- 03:23 Nikkei edges down; Nintendo, Canon weak as earnings disappoint
- 03:19 Essex Police 'admit Michael Barrymore was wrongfully arrested'
- 03:19 Seven arrested as violence erupts at the London Stadium
- 03:17 Deutsche bank to sell Mexican units to Investabank-source
- 03:17 Chinese paper says China, U.S. to step up anti-graft cooperation
- 03:10 Syd Barrett: Cambridge honours its 'Crazy Diamond'
- 03:10 Michael Ball and Alfie Boe: 'We wanted to do a tribute to Wham!'
- 03:01 Samsung Electronics to change quality assurance processes after...
- 02:59 Inquests to be held over deaths in family shooting case
- 02:55 Single parents owed millions of pounds for child maintenance, study...
- 02:55 Candice Brown crowned Bake Off winner in last series before Channel...
- 02:52 Candice Brown crowned Bake Off winner in last series before Channel...
- 02:47 US abstains from UN vote against Cuba embargo
- 02:47 Seven arrested as violence erupts at the London Stadium
- 02:47 Essex Police 'admit Michael Barrymore was wrongfully arrested'
- 02:46 More Republicans expect Clinton, rather than Trump, to win U.S....
- 02:42 'Grim conditions' put older tenants at risk in privately rented homes
- 02:42 More than six million families struggling with debt worries,...
- 02:21 Liverpool paired with Leeds in EFL Cup quarter-final draw
- 02:21 David Moyes admits he deserved punishment for swearing at ref in...
- 02:21 West Ham boss Slaven Bilic condemns trouble which marred cup win...
- 02:21 Metropolitan Police make seven arrests after violence in West Ham...