News from Art & Culture
Volunteers are urgently needed to help the Alnwick Riding for the Disabled group with its Thursday sessions with Barndale House School pupils. Volunteers help to lead ponies while the riders take part in a range of fun and instructive activities at Townf
The fifth annual get-together for the Berwick branch of Westie Rescue will be held on Bamburgh beach on Sunday, August 20. The walk, to help raise much-needed funds for Westie rescue charities in Northumberland and beyond, started as a casual meeting bet
Following the political surprises of 2015 and 2016, there has been much reflection and debate on the accuracy of the polls in the run-up to the impending snap-election of 2017. It is fair to say that, although perhaps somewhat unfair on the pollsters, th
With the prizes given out, the bags packed and the hangovers kicking in, the 70th Cannes Film Festival has drawn to a close. This year's top prize went to surprise winner The Square, a Swedish film about the sometimes bonkers art world and how we can bes
It is 500 years this year since Martin Luther, an Augustinian friar who became convinced that the selling of Indulgences by the Catholic Church was corrupt and unscriptural, ignited what quickly became the Reformation by, it is said, nailing his ‘Ninety-
There are set to be closures on two roads in Alnwick for work to take place during the summer. In July, Narrowgate is set to be closed to allow Utilitec Services Ltd, on behalf of Northumbrian Water Ltd, to install a sewer levels monitor in an existing m
A referendum on Holy Island has overwhelmingly backed the creation of a special planning document to guide future housing development. Residents were asked whether they agreed that new housing should only be allowed where the properties are the main resi
A selection of the latest planning applications submitted to Northumberland County Council. Alnham: Tim Brown, Scrainwood,change of use from bothy to farm worker’s accommodation. Alnwick: Christopher McNee, 2 York Road, rear single-storey extension to fo
This is the time of year when hedgehogs are producing their first litters, although if you’ve been following our Facebook page, you will see some mums have made an early start. Sadly, we’ve had our first hoglet casualties of the year; family dogs had dis
Click on the audio buttons to hear the conversations between the Guardian Australia picture editor, Jonny Weeks, the Guardian Australia photographer, Mike Bowers, the senior curator of photography at the National Gallery of Australia, Shaune Lakin, and t
It is (almost) 50 years ago today that The Beatles released Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Liverpool is celebrating the landmark album's anniversary with a festival - and one event is taking it particularly close to home for locals. When actress B
Amble athlete Ian Harding won today's Druridge Bay 10k, as hundreds of runners took part in the annual charity race this morning. Harding, a Morpeth Harrier who has won the event in previous years, crossed the line in 34min 15sec. He fought off competiti
Wildlife-rescue volunteers freed a trapped deer in Northumberland last night, after both its hind legs were caught in a discarded plastic wheel trim. Eagle-eyed photographers managed to spot the roe deer, which was trapped in a remote corner of Morpeth,
Concerned residents have signed a petition regarding the upkeep of the recreational area to the rear of Lacey Street. The locals want better servicing of the football goals, more frequent grass cuts and access reinstated from the playing field to and fro
Belford Parish Council has no objections to plans for a new hen house, but neighbours are ‘very, very concerned and are going to object’. The only comment the council will make on the application, for the erection of an agricultural building for free-ran
- 12:24 Open-hearted response of Manchester should be lasting legacy of...
- 12:23 Charlie Bit My Finger boys are all grown up! You’ll NEVER believe...
- 12:23 Major problems on railway network after suspected stolen car hits...
- 12:23 Bayern Munich star Kingsley Coman considered leaving after...
- 12:23 Real Madrid, Barcelona, PSG or the Premier League? Where next for...
- 12:21 First photo of Sharon and Ozzy Osbourne renewing vows after she was...
- 12:20 Thousands feared to have donated to fake GoFundMe pages for...
- 12:20 Man feared wife was dead after 30ft ravine fall
- 12:20 Dundee United striker Simon Murray on his way to Hibs
- 12:20 Launch of indoor market
- 12:19 YP Comment: TV’s ‘action man’ – Blue Peter’s John Noakes is remembered
- 12:19 Barnoldswick music festival hit by tragedy
- 12:19 Dedicate a sunflower in memory of loved ones
- 12:18 Some young Hong Kong residents want to be part of Britain again
- 12:18 Somalia's al-Shabab stones man to death for adultery
- 12:17 Bayern Munich star hints at move: Chelsea said to have launched offer
- 12:17 Dot To Dot festival is 'one of the best dates on Nottingham's...
- 12:16 'There’s too much else going on to worry about instead of another...
- 12:16 Ben Davies staying at Grimsby Town after signing new one-year contract
- 12:16 Wanted violent attacker Sam Johnson arrested by Immingham police
- 12:16 Photographers pay tribute to fellow founding member of the...
- 12:16 Internet dating blamed for rape increase
- 12:15 WATCH: Fisherman fights off great white shark after it leapt INTO...
- 12:15 Britain's Got Talent 2017: Niels Harder promises 'very dangerous'...
- 12:14 Businesses show they are fighting fit for new partnership
- 12:13 Don’t panic, but this massive, horrible Australian spider has just...
- 12:13 Leamington facebook page reunites long-lost family
- 12:13 Kenilworth Grand Show promises day of fun
- 12:13 Police show off their dance moves at Radio 1 Big Weekend in Hull
- 12:13 Record number of English wine makers set up business last year as...