Arsenic in Bangladesh: how to protect 20 million from the world's largest poisoning
It’s the largest poisoning of a population in history (pdf). More than 20 million people are thought to be at risk of drinking water contaminated by arsenic in Bangladesh.
Arsenic occurs naturally in groundwater supplies throughout parts of Bangladesh, India and Nepal. It was first identified as a problem in Bangladesh in 1987, and concentration levels in some places exceed 50 milligrammes per litre (mg/l) – way beyond the maximum level recommended by the World Health Organisation of 10 mg/l.
Millions of people in Bangladesh still drinking arsenic-laced water Read more Each year, an... read more
- 12:00 All you need to know about ultra-marathons as Burton Albion man...
- 11:59 Someone invented a genius way to stop cereal going soggy, but it’s...
- 11:59 Children's home abuse accused appears in court
- 11:58 Have you seen the Mick Foley plaque in Sefton Park?
- 11:57 Drivers caught using mobile phones face harsher penalties - what...
- 11:57 High-flying drone nearly hit passenger plane at East Midlands Airport
- 11:55 Oops! Man drives into police van while drunk
- 11:55 £700,000 is what you'll need for a des res in Lincolnshire's most...
- 11:55 Dani Alves wants Man City move - and other transfer talk
- 11:55 Carlo Ancelotti: I hate agreeing with Man United boss Jose Mourinho...
- 11:55 Arsenal star posts worrying injury update on Instragam account: It...
- 11:53 Paul Scholes: This Man United player has disappointed me
- 11:53 Williams F1 2017 launch: Stunning new snaps of FW40 car
- 11:52 WATCH: 10 of the most viewed Storm Doris videos
- 11:52 Be warned: new phone scam on its way here
- 11:52 Blind boy, 9, with cerebral palsy dies from starvation weighing...
- 11:50 Elderly woman injured in accident
- 11:49 Starbucks Frappuccino bath bombs are now a thing
- 11:49 West Brom vs Bournemouth: How can you follow it, team news, odds,...
- 11:49 Erdington roof siege: Wanted man held riot police at bay from top...
- 11:49 Andy Carroll picks unlikely name in his dream five-a-side team
- 11:49 Southampton boss Claude Puel: My players can stop this Man United star
- 11:48 Look inside eerie abandoned Anglesey WWII soldiers' home
- 11:45 Chelsea star sends message to Antonio Conte: I have proven myself -...
- 11:45 Arsenal tell fans Alexis Sanchez is leaving the club this summer
- 11:45 UPDATE: Woman dies after flat fire
- 11:45 Warwick man jailed for burglary
- 11:44 How Lincolnshire bomber crews made sure SS-GB is pure fiction
- 11:44 Cabbage perform at Cafe Indie - pictures and video
- 11:42 Belper’s most popular news stories this week