Argentina cancels Israel World Cup friendly after Gaza violence
Argentina has cancelled a World Cup warm-up match with Israel, apparently under political pressure over Israel's treatment of Palestinians in Gaza.
Argentina striker Gonzalo Higuain told the ESPN sports channel on Tuesday the game had been cancelled.
"They've finally done the right thing," Higuain said in an interview.
The Israeli Embassy in Argentina tweeted to confirm that the football friendly between the two countries was off.
Media reports say Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu called Argentine President Mauricio Macri in an attempt to salvage the friendly tie, due to... read more
- 22:13 Man Utd transfer news: Why Cristiano Ronaldo SNUBBED ‘loan option’...
- 22:11 Gene-edited farm animals are on their way
- 22:08 IN PICTURES: Buxton Race for Life 2018
- 22:07 Joe Launchbury backs Danny Cipriani to make a big impact for England
- 22:05 Lotto jackpot hits £17.2 million after nobody wins Wednesday draw
- 22:05 Student to be ‘spared jail’ after killing sister due to...
- 21:55 All East Dunbartonshire schools to shut for strike action
- 21:54 Police release CCTV image to help track missing Carlisle man
- 21:52 Davide Zappacosta in talks with Inter Milan as Chelsea set asking...
- 21:51 Sheffield Council deny monthly black bin collection claims
- 21:45 Celtic news: Leigh Griffiths reacts to Champions League draw
- 21:45 Vicki Sparks: First female commentator for live World Cup match
- 21:43 MP’s praise and support for carers
- 21:38 Boy, 4, who ‘channels the dead’ told teachers his father had drowned
- 21:38 Man, 27, charged with murder of Daniel Fitzjohn in Northampton
- 21:38 David Bowie Aladdin Sane photograph gifted to V&A museum
- 21:37 Appeal after two women racially abused by 'BNP member' on Glasgow...
- 21:36 MP’s praise and support for carers
- 21:34 Man, 27, charged with murder of Daniel Fitzjohn in Northampton
- 21:33 Tammy Beaumont fires England to T20 record in crushing of South Africa
- 21:33 Tony Abbott and allies could scupper national energy plan, warns...
- 21:32 Iran defender fails with flip throw-in during World Cup defeat...
- 21:32 Dad dies while holding his eight-month-old son in his arms after...
- 21:32 US court hears case against Turpin couple suspected of shackling...
- 21:32 England World Cup fans filmed giving Nazi salutes and singing vile...
- 21:31 Aston Villa linked with a move for ex-West Brom ace
- 21:31 Living together but not married? This document could prove essential
- 21:31 Rhys Jones' parents on the "life sentence" they are still serving
- 21:26 World Cup 2018: Iran star Milad Mohammadi attempts bizarre...
- 21:23 Love Island: Adam's 'emotionally abusive behaviour' sparks concern...