Are we one step closer to eternal youth? Scientists discover how to 'slow down or stop the ageing process'
The body's decline as we get older or illnesses such as Alzheimer's caused by ageing could be slowed down or even stopped after a breakthrough by scientists.
Researchers at Nottingham University discovered a protein found within the powerhouse of a cell has a crucial role in the ageing process.
The discovery could lead to new drugs to slow the debilitating effects of ageing on our bodies or halt the progression of neurodegenerative conditions such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease.
As we age, our body's tissues and functions begin to diminish.
Loss of muscle mass begins around 50 and... read more
- 17:13 Dad, 33, with weeks to live launches desperate plea for help
- 17:13 Man Utd Transfers Uncovered: Mourinho wants these two stars to...
- 17:12 Strongest week since December for European shares as investors pile in
- 17:12 Stephanie Davis has ’emotional’ reunion with Jeremy McConnell’s dog...
- 17:12 Hull FC vs Warrington Wolves LIVE updates after reserves face UK...
- 17:12 'Muggers paradise' warning as rail strike row rumbles on
- 17:12 CCTV images released following theft of elderly lady's purse in Ripon
- 17:11 Gunman shot schoolboy in the head because he was irritated at moped...
- 17:11 Councillor announced as MP candidate
- 17:11 Arsenal defenders Laurent Koscielny, Gabriel and Rob Holding...
- 17:11 UPDATE: Details of man sought by police after 16-year-old girl is...
- 17:10 Notts firm fined thousands for illegally burying 10,000 dead chickens
- 17:10 German airlines drop safety rule prompted by Germanwings crash
- 17:10 Man in 'Saw' mask robs same petrol station three times
- 17:10 Why walking is better for you than cycling
- 17:10 TAMWORTH FC: Lambs are a club on the up, says Morrell after signing...
- 17:10 The holiday mistake costing us HUNDREDS - and how to avoid making it
- 17:10 What Birmingham City's Paul Robinson told Harry Redknapp about the...
- 17:10 Huge jams on A38 after lorry crash blocks carriageway
- 17:09 Tottenham to leave White Hart Lane at the end of season with all...
- 17:08 EU regulators drop antitrust probe into Faurecia, others
- 17:08 On the brink: David Moyes hints at Sunderland exit as doomed Black...
- 17:08 Pimco shutters RAE Worldwide Fundamental Advantage PLUS Fund
- 17:08 Scots in hunt for British GT glory at Rockingham
- 17:08 Restaurant fined after neighbours complained about curry smell
- 17:08 Peter Kay's Car Share steering into heartbreaking ending as tragedy...
- 17:07 Lorry overturns in crash on A1
- 17:06 Gabriel Jesus reacts to Man City Manchester derby comeback
- 17:06 Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho reveals plan to cope with...
- 17:05 Barry Horne: Joey Barton's gambling ban was too excessive