Archives from the former Stannington sanatorium to form part of new play series
As society grappled with how to deal with a feared and all-too-prevalent infectious disease, it was the North East which took a national lead.
Tuberculosis was a particular threat to the cramped populations living in dingy, poor housing in the urban swathes of the region.
In the days before antibiotics, the fresh air and sunshine of the countryside, plus an improved diet, was considered part of the armoury against TB.
So in 1907, Stannington sanatorium in Northumberland was opened as the first purpose-built hospital in the UK for children with TB.
A long procession of youngsters passed... read more
- 15:23 The mystery of the cars abandoned in a robot car park
- 15:23 Amazon's Twitch triumphs over bot-sellers
- 15:23 Cheshire Oaks ready to embark on £23m 21st birthday makeover
- 15:23 Sessions questioned in Russia probe
- 15:23 Woman racially abused and assaulted on Tube train
- 15:23 Olive Tree Brasserie to open another branch in Cheshire
- 15:23 The Health and Wellbeing column with Dr Anthony Clarke
- 15:23 Money Saving Expert Martin Lewis issues passport warning all...
- 15:23 Furniture dumped near Distington
- 15:23 'Worse university references' warning to pupils at top public...
- 15:23 Thousands of jobs at risk as retail giant Sainsbury's axes...
- 15:22 Controversial paper that shows EXACTLY how to make a cousin of the...
- 15:22 Would you have the balls to have a go? NAKED high intensity...
- 15:22 Morecambe charity night for the ladies
- 15:22 Discuss: A new school proposed for Wirksworth
- 15:21 Car insurance premiums set to SKYROCKET to record high in 2018
- 15:21 Music and laughter made for festive fun-filled party time
- 15:21 Fights, broken glass and an emergency - all in a night's work for...
- 15:21 Funding cuts pile pressure on services
- 15:21 Release date for Doncaster filmed movie starring new Doctor Who...
- 15:21 Jamie's restaurant to close in Harrogate
- 15:19 Half of drug drive tests in Lancashire were failed
- 15:19 The Mermaid And Mrs Hancock book review
- 15:18 Relatives of hate crime victims to speak at national conference
- 15:18 REVEALED: The top 9 burglary hotspots in the Mansfield area
- 15:18 Fancy becoming a Laird or Lady while helping to restore a...
- 15:15 Homeless people feared missing inside burning Ravenscroft Social...
- 15:15 Nick Freer: You don’t need to be a geek to succeed in coding
- 15:15 Crime commissioner: Police have improved - but Poppi failings could...
- 15:14 Half of drug drive tests in Lancashire were failed