News archive from 23 January 2013
OUTGOING Bank of England governor Sir Mervyn King sent a warning shot across the bows of his successor
JAMES HANSON was the hero as Bradford held their nerve to reach Wembley and leave Villa boss Paul Lambert's head on the block. League Two Bradford were battered in the first half but brilliant in the second as they became the first fourth-tier side to...
THE Governor of the Bank of England last night said that RBS and Lloyds Banking Group would be back in the private sector in a "relatively short period". At a speech in Belfast, Sir Mervyn King said that restoring confidence in banks was key...
MANCHESTER UNITED are weighing up a sensational swoop for Liverpool keeper Pepe Reina. Barcelona are favourites to re-sign the 30-year-old, who started his career at the Nou Camp, if he quits Anfield. But sources in Spain claim United are also looking...
TWO men and three women were arrested yesterday as part of an investigation into insider dealing and market abuse. The arrests were made after the Financial Services Authority (FSA) and police swooped on properties in London and other parts of...
SCOTTISH businesses are not expecting their prospects to improve any time soon, according
to a raft of surveys pointing to sluggish activity. The key services sector will remain in the doldrums this year despite signs of recovery in...
RAFA BENITEZ was last night accused of being a weak manager living in Jose Mourinho's shadow. The Daily Star revealed before Christmas how Real Madrid boss Mourinho wants to return to Chelsea, where Benitez is currently interim manager. Now, the...
THE new head of Wood Group's largest division has unveiled his plans to push the Aberdeen-based energy services giant into the controversial shale gas, oil sands and coal seam gas markets. Robin Watson, who is taking over the reins at the Production...
RONALDINHO and QPR keeper Julio Cesar have been named in the Brazil squad to face England in a friendly at Wembley on February 6. The pair, who last played against Bosnia last February, were recalled by new boss Luiz Felipe Scolari in his first squad...
NORTH Sea driller Trap Oil has become the latest explorer to ramp up activity in UK waters by drafting in Extract Petroleum to help it look for oil in acreage to the east of Shetland. The Aim-quoted explorer – which bought Aberdeen-based Reach Oil...
SHAUN MALONEY could not turn his back on Wigan after Roberto Martinez revitalised his career. The former Celtic star penned a new two-and-a-half-year deal with the Premier League strugglers last week. Maloney had endured injury hell with Aston Villa...
COLLAPSED retailer HMV has been "stabilised" after Hilco UK acquired its debt from lenders, sources close to the deal have confirmed. Hilco, which acquired HMV Canada in 2011 and salvaged home goods firm Habitat, has bought the debt on a...
BENOIT ASSOU-EKOTTO has dismissed team-mate Kyle Naughton as a threat for Tottenham's left-back spot. Right-back Naughton has impressed on the opposite flank while standing in for the injured Cameroon star this season. But outspoken Assou-Ekotto, 28,...
A SCOTTISH brewery is raising a glass to the national bard after landing a deal to supply a national supermarket chain with two of its beers for Burns Night. Traditional Scottish Ales, based at Throsk near Stirling, signed one of its biggest deals to...
SMIFFYS SEQUEL (8.03), who displayed speed after missing the break on the level a fortnight ago, can reverse last week's jumps form with Bubbly Romeo at Romford tonight. A prize-money incentive has seen graded hurdle racing make a welcome return to...
- 00:06 Syria: Erdogan ‘to drive YPG from Manbij’
- 00:06 Washington abstains from annual UN vote blasting its blockade
- 00:06 ‘Staggering failures’ in NHS Scotland reform as coasts soar
- 00:06 Venezuela: Right accelerates plan to oust Maduro
- 00:06 Rail workers to strike over ‘horrendous’ safety threats
- 00:06 Victim of domestic abuse ‘traumatised’ by court appearance
- 00:06 PM’s ‘cunning plan’ laughed at
- 00:06 Protesters call on Britain to ‘have a heart’
- 00:05 Patients must understand options, says Royal College of Surgeons
- 00:04 Teen seduced by his teacher accused of armed raid on home of woman...
- 00:04 David Goodwillie rape accuser was five times the drink-drive limit...
- 00:04 Disappearing Duarte: Where is Veracruz's governor?
- 00:00 Giroud’s return could be pivital to Arsenal’s fortunes
- 00:00 Rome film festival shows what British screens are missing
- 00:00 Loudon clear music and mirth
- 00:00 Breaking the silence
- 00:00 MMA all but outlawed in France due to new fight decree
- 00:00 Glenn calls for England to have psychologists
- 00:00 Burnham: Money ruining the game
- 00:00 Derided by the state today, heroes tomorrow
- 00:00 Unearthing the hypocrisy of the ‘pro-prostitution left’
- 00:00 Privatised transport not fit for purpose
- 00:00 Labour must stand in by-election
- 00:00 Philippines: Duterte gives US troops two years to exit country
- 00:00 Tusk claims hated EU-Canada trade deal still on the cards
- 00:00 Iraq: 1,000 civilians evacuated from Mosul
- 00:00 Rudd urged to avoid same mistakes as Hillsborough
- 00:00 Memorial for last British International Brigader
- 00:00 Drug giants accused of overcharging the NHS
- 23:54 Tesla reports first quarterly profit for three years