Apprenticeship numbers fall by 59% after levy imposed
There has been a big fall in the number of workers starting apprenticeships since the introduction of the government's apprenticeship levy earlier this year.
The levy was supposed to increase the number of people training at work.
But according to Department for Education figures, in the last three months of the 2017 academic year, 48,000 people began an apprenticeship.
That compared with 117,000 for the same period last year.
The levy was introduced to raise £2.5bn a year for training. The aim was to fund up to 3 million new apprenticeships.
Firms with 50 or more staff now have to find 10%... read more
- 10:20 Can't stop taking pictures of yourself? Then you might have 'selfitis'
- 10:20 Arsonists strike three times across South Yorkshire
- 10:20 Bradford police seeking man after woman seriously injured in crash
- 10:19 Bradford police seeking man after woman seriously injured in crash
- 10:19 Changes to bin collections over Christmas
- 10:19 Chesterfield chippy launches Christmas dinner menu - including deep...
- 10:19 When Victoria Street was focal point of city's shopping experience
- 10:18 Sky and BT strike deal which Leicester City fans will celebrate
- 10:18 M62 lane closure near Brighouse after vehicle overturns
- 10:17 Can't stop taking pictures of yourself? Then you might have 'selfitis'
- 10:17 Wladimir Klitschko: Anthony Joshua can unify the heavyweight division
- 10:17 HOLBEACH PARISH COUNCIL: New grants policy is adopted
- 10:17 Aljaz Bedene informs the ITF he is turning his back on Britain to...
- 10:16 Shkodran Mustafi back in training but Aaron Ramsey could be out...
- 10:16 Police boss says Force will put communities ahead of cost with £30m...
- 10:16 How we must all meet the challenge of tackling loneliness
- 10:15 Cumbria County council issue plea to find selfless carers for new...
- 10:14 Australia captain Steven Smith closes in on century as England post...
- 10:14 Celtic must get rid of European 'nerves' if they have any chance of...
- 10:14 Firm’s technical five star Blackpool hotel challenge
- 10:14 East Kilbride Road Club celebrate their best-ever season
- 10:14 Mansfield and district crime report
- 10:13 Playground and basketball court to be created on village green
- 10:12 Premier League preview: Can Man City be stopped?
- 10:12 RUMOUR MILL: Manchester United linked with Chelsea’s Willian ahead...
- 10:12 Playground and basketball court to be created on village green
- 10:12 M62 lane closure near Brighouse after vehicle overturns
- 10:12 How commercial activity is having a social impact
- 10:11 'I love a wedding. Just don’t make ME have one!' Kylie Minogue...
- 10:11 'Isn't this a family programme?' Louise Redknapp is criticised for...