Apple and Google show off rival augmented-reality tech
Google has switched tack in its effort to popularise augmented reality (AR) on Android by moving away from a requirement for devices to be fitted with special depth sensors.
Instead, it is building software for developers to help them mix graphics with real-world views using common camera and motion-tracking hardware.
The rethink brings it in line with rival Apple's mixed-reality strategy.
By coincidence, Apple has just unveiled several in-development AR apps for iOS.
The Walking Dead: Our World - a zombie-themed video game in which players battle with the undead in real-world... read more
- 00:34 Everton 3 - Sunderland 0: Dominic Calvert-Lewin grabs brace as...
- 00:34 Chelsea 5 - Nottingham Forest 1: Musonda, Batshuayi and Kenedy bag...
- 00:34 Dustin Johnson sympathises with Rory McIlroy: It sucks we were both...
- 00:34 Glasgow Airport appeal over lost soft toys
- 00:34 Joe Rogan breaks down exactly how Cody Garbrandt dominated Dominick...
- 00:32 Sunderland name starting lineup with more Everton appearances than...
- 00:31 Cumbria police's child protection 'significantly improved'
- 00:31 Innovative Furness College sport project secures funding
- 00:28 Junior football: Two wins on the spin gives Rutherglen Glencairn...
- 00:27 Crystal Palace star man Wilfried Zaha stays sharp with extra...
- 00:27 Suffering with eczema? Your daily shower or bath might be to blame
- 00:25 EastEnders spoilers: Kat and Alfie Moon for big Walford return as...
- 00:23 Man Utd star Marcus Rashford is as good as Kylian Mbappe - Phil...
- 00:23 Antonio Conte talks David Luiz injury suffered v Arsenal: He’ll be...
- 00:22 New York bomber was not operating as a 'lone wolf’, warns...
- 00:20 How do you like your wine – with a cork or screw-cap?
- 00:20 Nine million people still make or receive calls while driving
- 00:20 Consumers told to stop buying 'fire-risk' fridges
- 00:20 Ryanair pilots reject bonus to work through cancellation crisis
- 00:16 Third generation joins Lake District holiday firm
- 00:13 Giselle: Akram Khan transforms
- 00:11 Judge puts Brum bin worker cuts on the scrapheap
- 00:09 Scintillating recall of fighting racism on Bristol busses
- 00:09 A wonderful revival of Wilder’s moving tale
- 00:09 The guardian Angel of Kobane
- 00:09 Uefa boss calls for a fair football business
- 00:10 Everton FC draw Chelsea away and Manchester United travel to...
- 00:09 Yarnold sad to see bobsleigh talent go to waste
- 00:09 Sampson given the boot from top job
- 00:09 The hellish ordeal of the ‘DWP experience’