Appeal begins in Brazil against acquittal of 74 police
Relatives of more than 100 prisoners who died during a riot in 1992 in a jail in the Brazilian city of Sao Paulo are appealing after a court threw out convictions against 74 police officers.
A judge ruled that the case was not strong enough against the officers who put down the riot in the notorious Carandiru jail.
He said although the evidence was not conclusive excesses had been committed.
No police were injured as they took back the jail but 111 prisoners died.
The trials of most of the officers took place in 2013 and 2014 almost 20 years after the event but none had begun to serve... read more
- 08:35 University of Central Lancashire helps put focus on green firm
- 08:34 24-hour walk bid to aid Blind Veterans charity
- 08:33 A590 blocked in both directions following collision at Newlands
- 08:33 Boris Johnson says he 'probably needs' a private plane
- 08:31 Fines handed to motorists outside school after Doncaster crackdown...
- 08:30 Strike action begins at Wigan hospital sites
- 08:30 What Arsenal can expect from their new manager Unai Emery
- 08:29 Council’s budget has been cut by £13m in five years
- 08:28 Farm helps to combat loneliness
- 08:28 Antiques experts visit centre
- 08:28 Brian is added to Walk of Fame for his charity efforts
- 08:28 Home sweet home for brewing firm
- 08:27 Arsenal transfer news: will Mesut Ozil fit into Unai Emery’s master...
- 08:26 24-hour walk bid to aid Blind Veterans charity
- 08:26 Fears 14-year-olds could be targeted in Victoria's...
- 08:26 Trump set to head to Scotland for golf during state visit
- 08:25 Action over concerns about warm weather bringing in more town...
- 08:24 Harden's 30 help Rockets even series with Warriors at two games apiece
- 08:24 Australian gymnasts and staff to be trained to identify child abuse
- 08:24 Stolen car being hunted by Cumbria Police
- 08:23 Liverpool star should be LEFT OUT of Champions League final even if...
- 08:23 Action over concerns about warm weather bringing in more town...
- 08:23 World Cup 2018: England squad snapped training for first time with...
- 08:20 Nearly twice as many over-65s in employment than a decade ago,...
- 08:20 Board members at NHS Tayside to be tested for skills and experience...
- 08:20 Caglar Soyuncu suggests Arsenal transfer could be finalised within...
- 08:20 Mikel Arteta told he can replace Pep Guardiola at Manchester City
- 08:18 Two men stand trial charged with kidnap and rape during alleged...
- 08:17 Brian Monteith: Why SNP’s bid to restart independence debate is a joke
- 08:16 Brighouse crash involving stolen car leads to four arrests