Apocalyptic volcanic super eruption that could DESTROY civilisation is much closer than we thought, say experts
The next volcanic 'super eruption' with the power to return humanity to a pre-civilised state could be due much sooner than previously thought.
Experts have previously predicted that the massive eruptions are likely to occur roughly once every 45,000 to 714,000 years.
This assessment, made in 2004, is now being challenged by new findings which say that the most likely time frame is just 17,000 years.
Researchers also estimate the eruptions could happen as often as once every 5,200 years.
Scroll down for video
SUPER ERUPTIONS In human history there have been thousands of sizeable eruptions,... read more
- 15:12 Police release E-fit of suspect after man is robbed on Doncaster...
- 15:11 Bassetlaw woman bought drugs at Christmas then forgot about them
- 15:10 Sheridan desperate for Fleetwood to end Highbury horror run against...
- 15:10 Search is on for lost north east memorials
- 15:10 In-form Fleetwood will have Cobblers boss Hasselbaink guessing
- 15:09 Changes to be made to bus stops and parking
- 15:09 FBI hunting for tattooed fugitive with DORK inked on his neck
- 15:08 Trophy success at double for cadets
- 15:08 Firm completes sale and leaseback deal
- 15:09 First World War hero George Peachment to be remembered in £8.5...
- 15:08 Thunder gets on board with Moody
- 15:08 Search is on for lost north east memorials
- 15:09 Magpie Recipe: Hake, wild mushroom, wild garlic & sherry cream
- 15:08 Prestigious award for franchisee
- 15:08 Training new generation of technologists
- 15:08 Two pharma companies collaborate
- 15:08 Containers given a new life on shore
- 15:07 Kirkby biker led cops on chase
- 15:07 Sutton man caught with drugs in motoring arrest
- 15:07 Thieves target ATM at Banbury Co-op 'with exploding foam'
- 15:07 Burton Albion players deliver coaching sessions at Stanton School...
- 15:06 Prison sentence quashed for Sutton Bridge man caught with indecent...
- 15:06 Manhunt launched after 59 burglaries across the region including...
- 15:06 Spen cadets know the drill
- 15:06 We think this teenager may have failed her driving test
- 15:05 Space age lessons delight pupils
- 15:05 Inspector Darren McKie guilty of wife's murder
- 15:05 Premier League big six transfer spend by position: Where has all...
- 15:05 Revealed: What these 6 common stomach pains mean and how to fix...
- 15:04 Prezzo to shut 94 restaurants with 500 jobs axed