Antidepressants make healthy people TWICE as likely to become suicidal: Experts warn many patients are wrongly given pills instead of therapy
Healthy people who take antidepressants are twice as likely to become suicidal and violent, researchers claim.
The first ever review of trials of antidepressants taken by healthy adults, who have no signs of a mental disorder, concludes the pills doubled harms related to suicide and violence.
The use of antidepressants in England has nearly doubled in the last decade, from 29 million prescriptions in 2004 to 57 million in 2014.
At least one in 11 people now take the pills - the fourth-highest rate in Europe.
Experts fear many of these patients may not actually need antidepressants, with... read more
- 11:28 Office designer Space Solutions merges with architect
- 11:27 Greg Lake and Jennifer Metcalfe expecting - baby on the way for...
- 11:26 Man to appear in court over alleged online online dating scam worth...
- 11:26 Bus driver slashed with vodka bottle during morning rush hour in...
- 11:26 WEATHER: Difficult driving conditions as Met Office issues ice...
- 11:26 Man dies days after car hit by tree on Shropshire's A49 during...
- 11:24 'Morning!' Watch award-winning US author beam into Lincoln...
- 11:24 Man-of-the-match Williams steers Belper Town to victory
- 11:24 Broad daylight raid on Gainsborough home
- 11:23 Cheaper mortgage rates are boosting the new homes property market
- 11:23 New home for growing construction firm Terra Construction
- 11:23 Argos apologises to Scunthorpe family over 85% discount bargain error
- 11:23 Aston Villa have high hopes for these youth team stars - here's...
- 11:23 Watch how to make the perfect pancake
- 11:23 Kodi warning issued amid police and trading standards crackdown
- 11:23 Midland battlers have '0' to worry about...
- 11:23 Police incident in Kirk Hallam: cops reveal what happened
- 11:23 Referees help Manchester United, claims Southampton legend Matt...
- 11:23 Speed cameras are based on these 22 Derbyshire roads
- 11:22 "Sleaze, grime and crime": ECHO readers say Mathew Street needs an...
- 11:21 Obituary: Gerald Kaufman
- 11:21 Speed cameras are based on these 22 Derbyshire roads
- 11:21 VIDEO: Crimestoppers £10,000 reward still available for help...
- 11:19 Man to be sentenced over murders of Matalan workers in Cardiff
- 11:19 We're running out of things to cut, schools chiefs tell Chancellor
- 11:19 School in Birmingham partially shuts as travellers defy...
- 11:19 Meeting to show support for Heckmondwike Library
- 11:19 Scam warning: Drivers pretend to run out of petrol and sell fake...
- 11:19 One person in hospital after fire at Batley flats
- 11:19 Woman attacked in double-stabbing at Dalton has died of her injuries