Antidepressants make healthy people TWICE as likely to become suicidal: Experts warn many patients are wrongly given pills instead of therapy
Healthy people who take antidepressants are twice as likely to become suicidal and violent, researchers claim.
The first ever review of trials of antidepressants taken by healthy adults, who have no signs of a mental disorder, concludes the pills doubled harms related to suicide and violence.
The use of antidepressants in England has nearly doubled in the last decade, from 29 million prescriptions in 2004 to 57 million in 2014.
At least one in 11 people now take the pills - the fourth-highest rate in Europe.
Experts fear many of these patients may not actually need antidepressants, with... read more
- 07:52 Thyssenkrupp sees connected elevators lifting profit
- 07:52 Apple delays release of first original series 'Carpool Karaoke'
- 07:52 Exclusive: Vivendi to accelerate expansion in video games and...
- 07:50 Eden Hazard: These three players deserve to replace John Terry as...
- 07:48 Secret to a sharper memory over 50? 45 minutes of gentle exercise...
- 07:47 Trapped cat’s lucky escape from between brick walls in Spilsby
- 07:46 Carpetright nudges profit forecast down as market deteriorates
- 07:45 Craig Shakespeare makes Leicester transfer promise
- 07:45 Eden Hazard provides huge update on new Chelsea deal amid Real...
- 07:45 Ilkeston house fire in Derbyshire sees three taken to hospital
- 07:44 Two arrested in Whitby after suspected class A drugs found
- 07:44 RSPCA appalled by kittens abandoned on Long Eaton street
- 07:43 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and fun quizzes
- 07:43 Property group LCP targets Scotland with Glasgow base
- 07:42 The next hot trend is blending your makeup with your boyfriend’s balls
- 07:42 Emmerdale spoilers: Brave Rhona Goskirk reports her rape ordeal to...
- 07:42 Get behind and sponsor the first ever Cleethorpes super cycling event
- 07:42 Keyboard warrior with grudge against Muslims bombarded health...
- 07:41 Woman jailed for crashing into pensioner’s car while sending...
- 07:39 Transfer News: Chelsea double swoop, Arsenal and Liverpool message,...
- 07:39 Speeders beware- stricter driving laws come into force today
- 07:38 Riders cover the miles in aid of four key Cumbrian charities
- 07:38 Puma reports strong sales in Americas and Europe
- 07:38 United, Hartlepool can stay up, says chairman Gary Coxall
- 07:38 Chelsea star Eden Hazard makes contract revelation amid Real Madrid...
- 07:37 Zlatan Ibrahimovic accepts Manchester United career 'is over'
- 07:36 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and fun quizzes
- 07:36 Slow moving traffic is causing problems for motorists in Burton and...
- 07:35 Lincolnshire 'will see more flooding' unless money is invested in...
- 07:35 Young soldier faces losing job after wielding bread knife in Lincoln