Anti-nuclear novice wins Japan election, blow to nuclear restarts
An anti-nuclear candidate won a Japanese regional election on Sunday, a blow to Tokyo Electric Power's attempts to restart the world's biggest atomic power station and a challenge to the government's energy policy.
Ryuichi Yoneyama, 49, a doctor-lawyer who has never held office and is backed mostly by left-wing parties, won the race for governor of Niigata north of Tokyo, Japanese media projected, in a vote dominated by concerns over the future of the Kashiwazaki-Kariwa power station and nuclear safety more than five years after the Fukushima catastrophe of March 2011.
"As I have... read more
- 09:40 Nelson man got sucked in to repeat vacuum thefts, court hears
- 09:39 Iran's supreme court upholds tycoon's death sentence for graft
- 09:38 Quiz of the week’s news...
- 09:38 OFSTED ANNUAL REPORT: ‘Too many children not doing well enough in...
- 09:38 Weekend weather for South Cumbria
- 09:36 Old Dalby schoolchild Chloe’s fantastic fundraising efforts help...
- 09:35 Rip-off fears as Mastercard lets shoppers pay at till in...
- 09:35 Brexit has made Britons more interested in the economy - and...
- 09:35 What are trade agreements and why do we need them? Watch our...
- 09:34 Barrow residents to pay for 'green waste' collections
- 09:34 Weekend sexual health clinic in Barrow hospital closes after...
- 09:34 National headlines
- 09:34 Two seriously injured in A590 smash in Barrow
- 09:34 Traffic and travel news for Cumbria - Saturday December 3
- 09:32 India, Afghanistan plan air cargo link over Pakistan
- 09:31 Body of Long Eaton man James Nicholls pulled from sewage tank
- 09:30 Preferred candidate named in hunt for Lincolnshire’s new Chief...
- 09:29 Man killed in early-hours crash near Telford
- 09:29 Paul Pogba can be as good as Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and...
- 09:29 Reeves and Mortimer at Nottingham's Royal Concert Hall - review
- 09:25 Recognition for partnership tackling underage drinking
- 09:25 Morpeth woman jailed for involvement in murder
- 09:23 Hillsborough foes have traded places
- 09:23 Turkey hits back at EU over migrant deal collapse as it blasts 'you...
- 09:22 Unauthorised wearing of military medals could become a crime
- 09:21 China protests at Trump-Taiwan call
- 09:20 Concert violinist jailed for conning people out of £357,000 by...
- 09:20 Newcastle United duo set to miss Burton Albion trip after red cards...
- 09:16 Chinese mine disasters kill at least 38
- 09:15 Police forced to take mugshot with macaw who wouldn’t leave criminal