Anti-nuclear novice wins Japan election, blow to nuclear restarts
An anti-nuclear candidate won a Japanese regional election on Sunday, a blow to Tokyo Electric Power's attempts to restart the world's biggest atomic power station and a challenge to the government's energy policy.
Ryuichi Yoneyama, 49, a doctor-lawyer who has never held office and is backed mostly by left-wing parties, won the race for governor of Niigata north of Tokyo, Japanese media projected, in a vote dominated by concerns over the future of the Kashiwazaki-Kariwa power station and nuclear safety more than five years after the Fukushima catastrophe of March 2011.
"As I have... read more
- 01:19 MS drug hope for secondary-progressive stage
- 01:19 Spot the difference - Damien Hirst's new vision
- 01:18 Cleckheaton’s home record intact going into new year
- 01:18 Cromack’s late strike secures Liversedge victory
- 01:18 Mike Hill MP: You cannot put a price on life – and using cheap...
- 01:15 Four in 10 online GP firms not safe, say inspectors
- 01:11 Derby backed over postponement by EFL as Cardiff owner Vincent Tan...
- 01:11 Paris Saint-Germain to play next European home game with reduced...
- 01:09 May urges 'new dynamic' in Brexit talks
- 01:02 Drunk friends can’t recall what started brawl in Mansfield town centre
- 01:02 Worksop assault woman’s dog bit female cop
- 01:02 REVEALED: The 25 foods which make us happy
- 00:55 Hawkshead Brewery founders take top accolade at Cumbria Life Food...
- 00:51 Rosa Parks house: Dispute threatens bitter end to homecoming
- 00:51 Former Rangers star Bilel Mohsni admits punch-up wrecked his career...
- 00:51 Australia fight back on day one of third Test against South Africa...
- 00:51 Who is John Bolton, Trump's new national security adviser?
- 00:37 80 years of The Beano marked at “The McMenace” in Dundee
- 00:34 Sudoku 4015 hard
- 00:33 Tottenham target Ryan Sessegnon must not have development rushed,...
- 00:28 Plastic patch in Pacific Ocean growing rapidly, study shows
- 00:26 Gareth Southgate reveals ‘disgusting’ racial abuse of young players
- 00:26 New Zealand v England: first Test, day two – live!
- 00:25 Tony Benn defends Galloway to party
- 00:22 Baselworld: Swiss watchmakers smarten up their act
- 00:22 Virtual reality as sharp as the human eye can see?
- 00:22 Grant of £31,000 set to boost young artists
- 00:22 Israel warns Iran over nuclear ambitions
- 00:22 What do we know about Austin bomber Mark Anthony Conditt?
- 00:20 Rise in cancers 'caused by weight'