Annuity re-selling plans abandoned by government
The government has abandoned plans to let pensioners raise money by selling their annuities to insurance firms.
The controversial idea was first aired in the March 2015 Budget by the then Chancellor George Osborne as part of his plan for "pension freedoms".
Despite deciding last December that the plan would go ahead next April, the government has changed its mind.
It admitted that too many pensioners might be lured into making the wrong decision.
Acknowledging that most people would be best advised to stick with their current annuities, the Economic Secretary to the Treasury,... read more
- 15:02 East Lancs Chief Exec named in top 50 CEOs in NHS
- 15:02 NHS cuts: Harrogate student with coeliac struggles to afford...
- 15:01 Grieving relatives of the Tunisia attack to sue tour operator
- 15:01 Pancake Day 2017: How to make perfect pancakes from scratch
- 15:00 Recipe found in medieval mystic’s writings was probably for ‘drugges’
- 15:00 Alzheimer’s research - the grim truth: 20 years of work and still...
- 15:00 Years-long dream of European exchange ended in half an hour
- 15:00 Jonny Owen says Don't Take Me Home highlights the similarities...
- 14:59 Aaron Ramsey makes huge Arsene Wenger admission: Arsenal players...
- 14:59 Ferrari boss breaks media silence in staggering admission about...
- 14:59 F1 2017 driver helmets: Every new design ahead of the upcoming season
- 14:58 Championship final table predicted by computer: Who will make the...
- 14:58 Nelson filmmaker nominated for national awards
- 14:58 What does ‘free-range’ actually mean? It’s complicated
- 14:58 #IAMGRIMSBY Vote now for your favourite fish and chip shop!
- 14:57 #softcoup: the plot to oust Corbyn (that might not really exist)
- 14:57 First full vegan cafe moving to Birmingham city centre
- 14:57 Liam Payne and pregnant Cheryl celebrate first anniversary
- 14:57 David Walliams moves on from Nightly Show to star in Teletubbies
- 14:57 Birmingham City poll: Who is your favourite loan striker ever to...
- 14:57 The holiday destinations where prices have PLUMMETED
- 14:57 North Wales boxers to square up for Welsh light-heavyweight crown
- 14:56 Call the Midwife's ‘harrowing’ FGM storyline praised by NSPCC for...
- 14:56 Piers Morgan starts on J.K. Rowling AGAIN causing Richard Arnold to...
- 14:56 Concern growing for missing Hull man Clive Reynolds, 73, who needs...
- 14:56 Domino's sex couple Daniella Hirst and Craig Smith say 'we got...
- 14:54 Deal struck over BHS pension scheme
- 14:54 Brighton promotion would be bigger than Newcastle feat, says Hughton
- 14:54 Newcastle's three away games in a week will shape the Championship...
- 14:53 Cumbrian teen's an online hit