Anniversary of world’s first tramway opening in Blackpool
Today marks 131 years since the world’s first practical electric tramway opened - in Blackpool.
The Lancashire resort lead the world in the innovative new method of transport when the first line opened on September 29, 1885.
The first part was a conduit line from Cocker Street to Dean Street on Blackpool Promenade.
It was one of the first practical electric tramways in the world, just six years after Werner von Siemens first demonstrated electric traction.
The inauguration was presided over by Holroyd Smith, the inventor of the system, and Alderman Harwood, the Mayor of Manchester.
Today... read more
- 18:55 US election: Trump outlines plan for first 100 days
- 18:55 Smoke from Seaforth blaze to lower this evening which could cause...
- 18:54 Newcastle United 3-0 Ipswich Town: Rafael Benitez's boys extend...
- 18:54 US Grand Prix F1 qualifying LIVE: Lewis Hamilton targets pole...
- 18:53 See what the chocolate sausage really tasted like at Chocival
- 18:51 Why being a 'silver splitter' is a health risk: Those who divorce...
- 18:50 Dad hopes his battle to overcome rare disease will give strength to...
- 18:50 Inquest opened into death of much-loved Middlesbrough lad
- 18:50 Devoted Sian follows in dad's footsteps to make a difference
- 18:50 Almost 100 people gather for vigil after dog was found buried alive...
- 18:50 Two vehicles involved in another crash on the A171 near Guisborough
- 18:48 One-fingered typists are no slower, so there
- 18:48 'I'm in the dark over Paul Hurst's future at Grimsby Town' -...
- 18:46 'We can't sleep at night but we still believe he's alive': Dad of...
- 18:45 Aston Villa: This man Jonathan Kodjia is the new Holte End darling!
- 18:43 Death toll in Cameroon train crash rises to 70
- 18:43 Blackburn over London for Mehreen
- 18:41 Cobblers performance ‘good enough to beat anyone’, says boss Page
- 18:41 Nottingham City Transport bus named in honour of Herbert Kilpin,...
- 18:40 Arsene Wenger admits he doesn’t know when Santi Cazorla will make...
- 18:40 Leicester City star Shinji Okazaki just quietly equalled a Premier...
- 18:37 Hole lot of fun as Prairie Sports Village unveil mini golf launch
- 18:37 Lifetime achievement honour beckons for Burnley’s “Renaissance Man”
- 18:34 Scottish Cup: Ten-man East Kilbride stun Cowdenbeath
- 18:31 Salford City stunned by deadly Dyer as Tamworth take points
- 18:30 Chester King's School visited by former student turned Olympic star...
- 18:30 Halloween retail therapy
- 18:28 Scunthorpe United players showed a belief how good they are says...
- 18:28 'Loveable rogue' who survived fleecing The Krays dies in Birmingham
- 18:27 PNE keeper takes it to the Max!