Anniversary of world’s first tramway opening in Blackpool
1 Have your say Today marks 131 years since the world’s first practical electric tramway opened - in Blackpool.
The Lancashire resort lead the world in the innovative new method of transport when the first line opened on September 29, 1885.
The first part was a conduit line from Cocker Street to Dean Street on Blackpool Promenade.
It was one of the first practical electric tramways in the world, just six years after Werner von Siemens first demonstrated electric traction.
The inauguration was presided over by Holroyd Smith, the inventor of the system, and Alderman Harwood, the Mayor of... read more
- 17:57 Here's looking at you! Snapchat finally starts selling its $129...
- 17:57 'Men in white van' steal 13-year-old lurcher Tarn from her Meltham...
- 17:57 A Listers hit the red carpet in Liverpool for the BBC Worldwide...
- 17:57 Liverpool anti-Trump protest LIVE: updates from city centre event
- 17:56 Who is Milo Yiannopoulos?
- 17:56 Air France pilots vote to accept principle of low-cost unit
- 17:56 Racist Serb fans torment Brazilian footballer Everton Luiz
- 17:56 'Spiderman' art thief Vjeran Tomic jailed in Paris
- 17:56 Fifty Shades Darker viewer MASTURBATES in cinema - you won’t...
- 17:55 Fancy being a firefighter? Fire service launch first recruitment...
- 17:55 Millwall hit back over FA Cup violence saying Leicester should have...
- 17:55 Conor McGregor trains at Olympic boxer Michael Conlan’s gym...
- 17:55 Jose Mourinho names Ashley Young as Manchester United’s man of the...
- 17:53 Snapped: See inside Arsenal's tiny dressing room ahead of Sutton clash
- 17:53 Wrexham cake shop adds afternoon tea for KIDS to its menu
- 17:53 Things to do with the kids when it's raining in North Wales
- 17:52 Man City v Monaco big match preview: Will Sergio Aguero or Radamel...
- 17:52 Checkatrade Trophy final: Coventry City fans queue for hours to buy...
- 17:52 LINCOLNSHIRE WILDLIFE TRUST: Hear Spring is on its way
- 17:52 Leeds handed transfer boost: Star could be set for exit after...
- 17:51 Boozed-up milkman causes £40,000 damage to Curdworth home
- 17:49 Unison announces five days in a row of Derby school strikes
- 17:49 Kayleigh's Love Story film about murdered Kayleigh Haywood film to...
- 17:49 Harrogate woman who saved husbands life calls out for mandatory CPR...
- 17:48 Volkswagen 'fixes 470,000 UK diesel cars'
- 17:47 Ryan Coney crash tragedy: Driver 'lost control', inquest told
- 17:46 Mum’s invited to exhibtion showcasing the benefits of using a sling
- 17:46 Man jailed for killing primary school teacher in bar attack
- 17:45 Police and Royal Mail ask: How can we stop dangerous dog attacks?
- 17:45 Abandoned Leeds bunnies seek new owners