Anjem Choudary seeks permission to appeal Islamic State support conviction
Extremist preacher Anjem Choudary has applied for permission to appeal his conviction for drumming up support for terror group Islamic State (IS).
The 49-year-old was jailed for five-and-a-half-years earlier this month after encouraging backing for the terrorist group in a series of talks posted on YouTube and recognising a caliphate - a symbolic Islamic state - had been created under an IS leader in June 2014.
He finally fell foul of the law after spending two decades as a thorn in the side of UK authorities, with a string of former supporters going on to be convicted of terrorism.
On... read more
- 18:22 Birmingham Moseley taking nothing for granted against struggling...
- 18:22 Aldi to open SIXTH Coventry store - and they're hiring
- 18:21 Squash is a ‘great’ sport to teach, say Doncaster brothers
- 18:21 Appeal to trace South Yorkshire owner of stolen rose gold iPhone 6
- 18:20 Sheffield man accused of sexually assaulting vulnerable women says...
- 18:20 Appeal to trace South Yorkshire owner of stolen rose gold iPhone 6
- 18:20 Fire breaks out at Bangladesh central bank
- 18:20 Cobblers winger Sonupe joins Kidderminster on loan
- 18:20 EU refugee policy unsustainable, says Council of Europe commissioner
- 18:19 Mum sobs in court after smashing up equipment at Lincoln hospital
- 18:17 Two men jailed after trying to sell handgun linked to terrifying...
- 18:17 Pointless presenter Alexander Armstrong left unnerved by THIS...
- 18:17 REVEALED: 14 ways to keep kids entertained on flights WITHOUT...
- 18:17 Anti-ageing drug could be on the market in three years, say scientists
- 18:16 Mark McGhee urges Scotland fans to turn out in numbers for Slovenia...
- 18:16 Watch as Leicester mum shaves her head for charity
- 18:16 Bayern Munich being sued after Manchester United incident
- 18:16 Amber Valley residents urged to remain vigilant after several...
- 18:16 Southampton star Nathan Redmond reveals England aim
- 18:15 Your Kodi box could soon be declared illegal
- 18:15 London attack: Home secretary says don't blame intelligence agencies
- 18:14 Moldova says no response from Russia on money-laundering probe
- 18:14 How your breast milk changes depending what time of year it is
- 18:14 Granit Xhaka confident Arsene Wenger will stay on at Arsenal
- 18:13 Updates: 'Armed police' surround house in Scunthorpe town centre
- 18:13 Former soldier holds race night to say thank you
- 18:13 Duns Camera Club winners
- 18:12 'Migrant wave’ has exposed EU weaknesses, admits German...
- 18:12 Would YOU eat these meals? Bake Off's Prue Leith backs campaign for...
- 18:12 Would YOU choose to live forever? Age-reversing pill that Nasa...