Animal fat in new £5 note offensive, says Sikh activist
The revelation the UK's new plastic £5 note contains a small amount of animal fat is "extremely offensive", a Sikh activist has said.
Jagdish Singh said it was "troubling" to find out that tallow - derived from beef or mutton, but sometimes pork - was used to manufacture the fiver.
He joined a number of Hindus in urging the notes be banned from temples, where meat products are forbidden.
A petition to ban the new £5 notes has attracted more than 100,000 signatures.
It calls on the Bank of England to "cease to use animal products in the production of currency that we... read more
- 05:13 Mum of 4 says ceiling collapsed on autistic son 3 weeks ago - and...
- 05:13 The clever way victims caught mum-of-3 stealing their mail for...
- 05:13 Mum gives update on fundraising for terminal cancer treatment to...
- 05:12 West Brom have two players back as Liverpool's injury crisis revealed
- 05:12 Birmingham City man tracked by Leeds United and others as side to...
- 05:08 Stolen car in fatal crash was being chased by police - Ombudsman
- 04:50 Concerns grow over fate of Sydney's last government-owned sandstone...
- 04:47 Trago Mills's £65m Merthyr Tydfil store opens at last
- 04:25 Thousands of families can't afford to top up their energy meter
- 03:55 John Sentamu: In Stephen Lawrence’s memory, we will defy racism
- 03:53 Five people die as anti-government protests spread across Nicaragua
- 03:47 Residents 'not showered' care home in Essex warned
- 03:45 TRAVEL REVIEW: Fun for everyone at Butlins Skegness
- 03:43 Call to save military airfields from closure
- 03:42 Roadworks Round-up: The works which may cause you hold-ups in the...
- 03:33 Whitley Bay superdad wins prestigious award
- 03:24 Real ale drinkers asked to embrace change
- 03:11 Justine Greening: It’s in the interests of Yorkshire business to...
- 03:01 Antidote that can treat ALL deadly snake bites could be on the...
- 02:59 Highlights, presentations and recruitment - a week in the life of...
- 02:58 Oprah Winfrey given Swiss apology for 'racist treatment' over handbag
- 02:45 No joke: have China's censors gone too far with ban on humour app?
- 02:43 Missed this week's entertainment news?
- 02:42 Graduation – a guide for parents
- 02:42 Drugs, sleeplessness, isolation: the downside of being a dance...
- 02:32 Why do the Chinese love Bicester Village?
- 02:21 Southwest Airlines accident: Authorities order mass engine inspections
- 02:08 Sydney man charged with several terror-related offences
- 02:01 Draya Michele brightens up Atlanta club with her off-the-shoulder...
- 02:01 Tristan Thompson's alleged fling Lani Blair 'to star in VH1 reality...