Anglesey's second home council tax hike cash to be given to hard-up first time buyers
Hard-up first-time buyers will be given the cash Anglesey council rakes in from its second home council tax hike.
A levy of 25% is being introduced on holiday homes, and it is believed upwards of £1m a year will be brought in by it.
But the council says it intends to use the windfall to help local people who can't afford deposits for their first property.
Cllr Ieuan Williams said the money could also be used to bring empty or run-down housing back into use or up to scratch.
The decision has received broad support from across the political spectrum.
Plaid Cymru opposition group leader Cllr... read more
- 03:59 Boredom in Britain at a new low
- 03:40 Self-medicating by drinking wine before bedtime will only make your...
- 03:40 Five teenagers to face court on terror charges
- 03:35 David Miliband 'deeply concerned' for Labour's future
- 03:15 Let DEMOCRACY speak: Marine Le Pen SLAMS media for censoring French...
- 03:03 YOU’RE ON YOUR OWN: China CLASHES with Donald Trump over North...
- 02:59 Bolivia's San Pedro 'tourist prison', 20 years on
- 02:59 Could the next Messi come from Nigeria as Barcelona launches Lagos...
- 02:59 IS in Afghanistan: How successful has the group been?
- 02:59 Kim Jong-nam death: Unravelling the mystery
- 02:59 Did Trump win because his name came first in key states?
- 02:57 Move into a nursing home while you're still fit, says care tsar as...
- 02:53 HMRC rejects tax avoidance criticism
- 02:52 Can community projects offer a way to affordable care?
- 02:41 Illegal air pollution levels endangering health of capital's children
- 02:32 Guatemala expels abortion boat crew
- 02:32 Egypt's Coptic Christians flee Sinai after deadly attacks
- 02:21 City homes 'least affordable since 2009'
- 02:12 Boris Johnson to visit Egypt for talks with president
- 02:07 ADM brokerage arm shifts more trades onto computer screens
- 02:07 Alphabet's self-driving car unit sues Uber with trade theft charge
- 01:53 Fashion house BCBG Max Azria prepares for bankruptcy: sources
- 01:49 Smuggled rare ploughshare tortoises go on display for first time
- 01:49 China's Panchen Lama says to uphold 'glorious tradition' of patriotism
- 01:42 Get your dancing shoes on for Grimsby's Strictly Get Dancing
- 01:42 What mummy really thinks about everyday family life
- 01:42 Hankies and sticks: Why do people take up Morris dancing?
- 01:39 Southampton boss Claude Puel still stung by Ryan Giggs' winner in 2007
- 01:36 Footballer hit by lightning in Highgate United match remembered
- 01:31 Ryan Palmer and Wesley Bryan share lead at the halfway point of the...