Anglesey man remembers aftermath of Aberfan disaster on 50th anniversary of tragedy
On the eve of the 50th anniversary of the Aberfan disaster, an amateur film enthusiast has recalled capturing the aftermath of one of the most harrowing moments in Wales’ history.
Maldwyn Edwards, who is originally from Bangor but now lives in Menai Bridge, was 25 years old when he captured this footage in Aberfan, where 144 people - including 116 children - died when a colliery spoil tip collapsed on top of a primary school and cottage in 1966.
With more than 1.5 million cubic feet of the waste matter flattening everything in its path, it essentially wiped out an entire generation of... read more
- 09:52 Evil rapist forced schoolgirl into bushes by threatening her with...
- 09:50 Man Utd stars and former captain Wayne Rooney arrive at hotel ahead...
- 09:49 'Doctors call it bull**** disease - but I can't get out of bed'
- 09:49 Two men stabbed in Harrogate - police linking attacks
- 09:48 Two lanes closed on M1
- 09:48 Lorry crash closes lanes on M1
- 09:46 England goalkeeper Joe Hart robbed of phone and wallet by moped gang
- 09:46 Yates pub chain agency ‘used good-looking only policy when hiring...
- 09:45 Birmingham Airport charges third highest parking fee for collecting...
- 09:45 This is exactly how Storm Brian will affect Birmingham after yellow...
- 09:44 Former soldier Colin fights a new battle for the charity that saved...
- 09:44 Two men stabbed in Harrogate - police linking attacks
- 09:40 Down Memory Lane - 1990 in pictures
- 09:40 Pet lovers celebrate as Melton is named the UK’s most dog-friendly...
- 09:39 'Anyone would think Wolves had won the Premier League' - Steve...
- 09:38 Case brought by Lloyds shareholders is ‘fundamentally flawed’
- 09:38 Stranger Things star Finn Wolfhard fires agent after former client...
- 09:38 Sowerby Bridge's Dama Cheese shines light on UK start-ups
- 09:38 Aldi to release chocolate wine for Christmas
- 09:38 Joel Campbell keen to leave Arsenal by making Real Betis...
- 09:37 Aldi to release chocolate wine for Christmas
- 09:37 BREAKING NEWS: Derbyshire road closed by 'police incident'
- 09:35 Arsenal news: Mesut Ozil hates Manchester United links - he wants...
- 09:35 Warwickshire Police Detective Sergeant receives Queen’s Police Medal
- 09:33 Call to check oil tanks ahead of winter
- 09:33 Prestigious regional award for sewer project in town
- 09:33 Kirkby pensioner 'killed by blunt force trauma to the head'
- 09:32 Thugs, thieves, drunks and drugs - who's been convicted in Derby's...
- 09:32 BREAKING NEWS: Derbyshire road closed by 'police incident'
- 09:32 Charity festive card shop to be officially opened today