Anger erupts as Christmas lights switch-on in Barrow is cancelled due to budget cuts
The annual event, which attracts thousands of people to the town will not go ahead after town halls chiefs pulled the plug on funding.
It had been hoped the newly form Barrow Business Improvement District (BID) group would step in to save the day.
But its board voted seven to five against supporting a switch-on event, leading to the resignation of one of its members, who claimed: "Christmas in Barrow has been cancelled."
READ: Mum and toddler terrified by 'killer clown'
Phil Huck, Executive Director at Barrow Borough Council, said: "This is down to the fact that we have got... read more
- 14:06 How to lower blood pressure: Cutting SALT from your diet could be...
- 14:05 Surprise! This Owl’s long legs could rival any supermodel
- 14:05 N’Golo Kante on shortlist with Antoine Griezmann for best overseas...
- 14:05 Search called off for man missing in River Lune
- 14:05 Airbus £4.6bn China deal helps secure position as global leader
- 14:04 These supercars drove to Nottingham with some very special passengers
- 14:04 Man United prepared to meet mega release clause: This summer...
- 14:04 CCTV APPEAL: Theft from St Annes shop
- 14:03 M&S food store plans
- 14:03 Blaze at cancer research unit
- 14:03 Dedicated scout Ossie earns highest honour
- 14:03 Arsenal defender Laurent Koscielny is an injury worry for north...
- 14:03 Operatic Society's producer retires
- 14:03 West Ham boss Slaven Bilic shrugs off HMRC raid as he has more...
- 14:03 Euro markets jump on optimistic notes from ECB
- 14:03 Charity ordered to keep better records
- 14:03 Arsenal legend Thierry Henry gives damning verdict on the position...
- 14:03 Suspected U.S. drone strike targets Pakistani Taliban militants -...
- 14:03 Appeal for information after crash between pedestrian and unknown...
- 14:03 School fight 'Trump' row
- 14:03 Liz is lining up against the best
- 14:02 Economy’s ‘resilience’ gives housebuilders a boost
- 14:02 OPEC output cuts whet Asia's appetite for North Sea oil
- 14:01 Search called off for man missing in River Lune
- 14:00 Liz is lining up against the best
- 14:00 Barcelona to report Malaga president Abdullah Al-Thani after...
- 14:00 Javier Mascherano has never shrunk from anything in seven glorious...
- 14:00 Man hit by rock is ‘improving’
- 14:00 You have just ONE WEEK to spend your old paper £5 notes
- 14:00 Tony Ferguson slams Nate Diaz: He's all on Conor McGregor's d**k!