Angelique Kerber loses her first match as world No 1 after epic clash with Petra Kvitova at the Wuhan Open
Angelique Kerber lost for the first time since becoming the No. 1 ranked player, losing to Petra Kvitova in the third round of the Wuhan Open on Wednesday.
Kvitova saved 17 of 22 break points on her way to the 6-7 (10), 7-5, 6-4 win over Kerber, who committed eight double faults.
'It's always tough to play against Petra,' said Kerber, who was facing Kvitova for the 10th time in her career. 'I think we both played on a really high level over three hours. At the end, I think there's no loser. I did everything today. I was fighting until the end.'
Kerber replaced Serena Williams atop the... read more
- 00:33 Wayne Rooney sends huge warning to Manchester City ahead of derby...
- 00:33 Barcelona v Real Marid: Luis Enrique reveals the secret to...
- 00:31 Major breakthrough in search for cause of MS
- 00:30 Pep Guardiola failing to make the grade in the Premier League with...
- 00:30 Rangers boss Pedro Caixinha: This is why we lost to Celtic in the...
- 00:29 Futures rally after centrist takes first round in French election
- 00:29 Afghan Taliban's brazen attack eclipses Trump's 'mother of all bombs'
- 00:26 Period details of horror, from the Victorian era to today
- 00:26 Why ‘Anywheres’ ignore ‘Somewheres’ at their peril
- 00:26 The Good Book of the Manics
- 00:26 City have it all to do after first-leg loss
- 00:26 Gift of the Gab gives Bruce derby day spoils
- 00:26 Sinclair dreams of the perfect treble
- 00:26 How Ofcom meddling is harming the communications sector
- 00:26 Never believe predictions, especially about the future
- 00:26 Is private property peculiar to capitalism and do socialists want...
- 00:26 Overturning the rigged system
- 00:26 Syria: Government captures more ground in Hama province
- 00:26 Marine Le Pen says France’s survival ‘at stake’ in impassioned...
- 00:26 Afghanistan: President declares day of mourning
- 00:26 Euro SURGES after anti-EU 'nightmare scenario' in French election...
- 00:27 Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp unhappy with how his side defended...
- 00:26 Ukraine: Land mine explosion kills OSCE observer in Donbass
- 00:27 London Marathon: How to enter the ballot for the 2018 race
- 00:26 Talking is the way to achieve world peace
- 00:26 EU chief praises Macron as ‘hope of a generation’ ahead of Marine...
- 00:26 Corbyn: Scots’ lives better under Labour
- 00:26 Tories play down talk of tax rises if Conservatives win snap...
- 00:26 The Tories want to finish us off
- 00:26 Leicester Curry Awards winner revealed