Ancient remains removed from Square Chapel graveyard
0 Have your say Archaeologists have removed and examined over 200 skeletons from the Square Chapel graveyard, as part of the Piece Hall transformation project in Halifax.
The excavations were undertaken by Archaeological Services WYAS as part of the £19 million transformation project funded by Calderdale Council and the Heritage Lottery Fund.
The exhumations were necessary before the construction of a new access road on the site as the graves were identified as ‘soft spots’. Where soil had been removed and then infilled during the burials there was a risk that the land would not be able to... read more
- 17:10 IN PICTURES: Celebrating Harry and Meghan’s special day
- 17:10 Does the Growth Commission boost the case for Scottish independence?
- 17:10 Jeremy Corbyn says Northern Ireland needs voice at Brexit table
- 17:08 Incident at Leeds Armley Gyratory reportedly clear but motorists...
- 17:08 Mathew Bates seals in-demand defender as his first Hartlepool signing
- 17:07 Man ‘scalded toddler, 2, in bath, then cut his blistered skin off...
- 17:06 Talented Barrow student artists progress to range of university...
- 17:06 Kate Middleton’s fave designer throws shade at Meghan’s wedding dress
- 17:06 Here’s the best sherry cocktail in the UK, the man behind it and...
- 17:06 Prestwich artist Anna Evans' commemorative Arena attack artwork...
- 17:06 Mining group Vedanta 'should be delisted'
- 17:05 Liverpool to refund cup final tickets for fans with cancelled flights
- 17:04 Family music event planned for Anderby
- 17:03 Thousands sign petition to make Blacker Lane safe
- 17:03 Three South Tyneside men fined for salmon poaching
- 17:03 Tune in to see if Wakefield's Britain's Got Talent stars have made...
- 17:03 'Bitter' bar boss in Champions League Final free pint deal
- 17:03 Story of Warwick's greatest benefactor told in new film
- 17:03 Rain brings early end to Lancashire's clash with Warwickshire at...
- 17:01 Man shot through taxi window by armed police
- 16:59 How this 18-year-old managed to save enough to buy a house
- 16:59 The Spring Bank Holiday Gloucester Cheese Rolling – all you need...
- 16:58 Thousands sign petition to make Blacker Lane safe
- 16:58 Champions League final: Steve McManaman makes bold Liverpool vs...
- 16:58 Champions League final: Michael Owen makes surprising Liverpool vs...
- 16:57 SNP says Scotland should delay launching own currency
- 16:57 Number of Windrush cases passes 5,000
- 16:57 Rail bosses apologise after 'unacceptable' problems since timetable...
- 16:57 Derbyshire company enters liquidation
- 16:56 Terrington Hall pupils maintain 100% drama pass rate