An Englishman as national boss is not a bonus... it's a necessity
Martin Glenn famously said he wasn’t a football expert. One would hope, however, as chief executive of the Football Association he would at least know the point of the international game.
But apparently not.
In the aftermath of the latest farce to befall his organisation, Glenn raised the possibility of appointing a foreign manager. ‘I don’t think you have to be wedded to the fact the England manager has to be English,’ he said. ‘That narrows the field too much and we want the best person for the job. Being English is a benefit — a bonus.’
RELATED ARTICLES Previous 1 Next No sweat... Danny... read more
- 08:47 France’s Jeremy Corbyn hopes to challenge Marine Le Pen in...
- 08:45 Telford council tax rise ‘will save authority £235,000’
- 08:45 Novak Djokovic conqueror Denis Istomin out after injury woe as...
- 08:45 Manchester City midfielder Yaya Toure urges Raheem Sterling to take...
- 08:45 Cumbria's success at national field trialling championships
- 08:44 May poised to unveil £556m boost for North
- 08:43 Missing South Yorkshire teenager found safe and well
- 08:43 Two teenage inmates found dead at Polmont Young Offender's Institute
- 08:41 Trump's election win costs Paddy Power Betfair £5m
- 08:41 Freezing fog in Burton and South Derbyshire causing difficult...
- 08:39 Roadworks on the A1 and A19 in the North East
- 08:39 Yellowstone webcam captures ‘family of six Bigfoot’ shuffling out...
- 08:38 Sainsbury's chairman reprimanded for using staff on country home
- 08:38 Tesco recalls ready meal over health concerns
- 08:38 JOHN DILLEY’S WWI BLOG: Loving father held the hand of his dying son
- 08:36 Roasting and frying stachy foods could increase cancer risk, warns...
- 08:36 Vodafone roll out 4G in another pocket of Cumbria
- 08:35 Where is BBC Radio 1's Big Weekend 2017 being held?
- 08:35 Hull City news and rumours LIVE - Ryan Mason updates and Tigers...
- 08:35 Aston Villa: Tony Xia brilliantly trolls transfer-hungry fans
- 08:34 Father pictured risking child’s life by walking on frozen lake
- 08:33 DR MAX THE MIND DOCTOR: Why anorexia has no respect for age
- 08:33 HEALTH NOTES: I'm knocked out by boxercise, says Julia Bradbury
- 08:33 Poulton couple saved from 'nasty and toxic' blaze by fire doors
- 08:33 E-cigarettes are getting non-smoking teens hooked on nicotine:...
- 08:32 Super snowdrop show
- 08:32 Record-breaking year for outlet
- 08:31 On the move: Latest appointments and promotions
- 08:31 ‘The world is watching’ US spies claim Trump’s ties to Russia could...
- 08:30 Pundit: This is impressing me most about Chelsea under Antonio Conte