America first can’t mean Europe last! Juncker squares up to Trump over Russia sanctions
Mr Juncker squared up to US lawmakers after they passed a bill to penalise Russia, with implications hitting Russian energy, financial, transport and mining sectors.
The EU fears the strict penalties could hit a controversial Nord Stream 1 gas pipeline project which will connect to Germany and provide work for European companies.
The European Commission president blasted: “America First cannot mean that Europe’s interests come last.”
He added: “The US bill could have unintended unilateral effects that impact the EU’s energy security interests.”
One worry is that any European energy firm... read more
- 09:02 What it's like to work for a political leader in your twenties?
- 09:01 Man exposed himself in Appleby
- 09:01 Ice risk: It's slippery out there so how can you avoid falls and...
- 09:00 GMB's Piers Morgan announces career change - and Susanna Reid is...
- 09:00 Craig Harrison names the Hartlepool player he’s desperate to have...
- 09:00 BBC Breakfast: Viewers STUNNED as Dan Walker swipes at Louise...
- 09:00 Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge wants La Liga transfer
- 09:00 Man Utd news: Antonio Valencia says famous moment shows Man City...
- 08:58 MARKETS LIVE: Investors turn their attention to the US Federal...
- 08:58 School focus: Malin Bridge Primary
- 08:58 Body found in search for missing student who left club wearing just...
- 08:58 Stage set for another Brexit showdown with Tories threatening to rebel
- 08:57 EU ARMY: Eurocrat hails 'HISTORIC' treaty - but calls for EVEN...
- 08:57 Desperate Angela Merkel SLAMMED for snubbing Bundestag ahead of EU...
- 08:57 Premier League: Burnley move into the top four after win against Stoke
- 08:57 Rio Ferdiand tells Arsenal and Liverpool fans to quit social media...
- 08:56 Police hunt beanie-wearing flasher in South Cumbria
- 08:55 Are you in these Doncaster school photos from 1952?
- 08:53 Uber to be banned in York due to ‘safety and security’ problems
- 08:53 How Celtic are still making money from last season's Champion League
- 08:52 Chelsea have £22m Leon Bailey move turned down by Bayer Leverkusen
- 08:52 Antonio Conte in X-rated rant about Chelsea’s title hopes after...
- 08:52 Man Utd stars Ibrahimovic, De Gea, Mata and co meet at hotel night...
- 08:52 Robber stunned as jail sentence is doubled by senior judges
- 08:51 Donington on Bain choir spreads Christmas cheer in Louth
- 08:51 Tragedy after animals perish in Louth pet shop flooding
- 08:50 Warwick Lions Club and volunteers create food parcels for those in...
- 08:49 Delays on A19 expected after three-vehicle crash
- 08:49 Fears of four-hour delays on roads over Christmas
- 08:49 Croston rings with festive cheer