Amber Rudd defends action on child migrants
Home Secretary Amber Rudd has insisted the government is doing all it can to help child migrants in Calais after Tory MPs demanded ministers do more.
Ms Rudd said the government remained "keen, enthusiastic and committed" to taking children from the migrant camp known as the "Jungle".
Former Education Secretary Nicky Morgan is among the Tory MPs to sign a letter calling for more to be done.
They said family reunion was the best way to "defeat the traffickers".
Live: Conservative Party conference Hollande vows to dismantle camp The children trying to flee Calais... read more
- 07:44 11 ‘micro-crimes’ you’ve probably committed
- 07:44 Warwickshire Community and Voluntary Action win Warwickshire Third...
- 07:44 We retired to Greece but want to move back home because I suffered...
- 07:43 Luke Rhoden inquest: Just what happened in Luke’s final minutes?
- 07:43 Stoke City news and transfer rumours LIVE: Hughes sets goal...
- 07:42 West Ham plot January raid on arch-rivals Millwall: Hammers have...
- 07:41 UPDATE 2-UK Stocks-Factors to watch on Oct 25
- 07:40 Craig Hignett fears losing Hartlepool United stars in January
- 07:40 Man wielded meat cleaver at dog walker in the street
- 07:40 Undetected heart defect causes death of 9-day-old baby boy
- 07:39 Martin Flanagan: BBA chief stops short of apocalypse pow
- 07:37 Police release footage of lorry driver using his mobile as he...
- 07:37 Four dead after water raft ‘overturns’ at theme park
- 07:37 Drugged up driver left teenage friend to die after crashing
- 07:37 BREAKING: Four dead in freak accident on river rapids ride in theme...
- 07:35 At least three killed on ride at Australia's biggest theme park
- 07:34 £100 million Springfield Brewery revamp gets go-ahead
- 07:33 India puzzled by 'sacking' of Tata boss Cyrus Mistry
- 07:32 Parking bays will need to be repainted as part of St Giles Street’s...
- 07:32 Phipps NBC launch golden cask competition to mark brewing of...
- 07:32 A total of 22 fashion stores and pubs have shut-up-shop on...
- 07:31 Demonstration sees Swineshead pond dredged for free
- 07:31 Today's Weather: Some sunny spells
- 07:31 Five jobs instead of one as search for Lincolnshire’ top cop goes on
- 07:30 People trapped in South Tyneside crash
- 07:30 Chester Zoo is one of UK's most popular tourist attractions
- 07:29 Trafffic and travel: A38 now open at Claymills following collision...
- 07:29 Watford subject to EFL disciplinary investigation
- 07:26 Rurik Jutting: Hong Kong murder trial shown 'torture' video
- 07:25 Manchester United striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic should be dropped