Alton Towers operator fined £5million after horror crash on Smiler rollercoaster 'which left thousands at risk of death'
The operator of Alton Towers has been fined £5million after the horrific crash on the Smiler rollercoaster which left two girls needing leg amputations.
A court heard how Merlin Attractions Operations Ltd was solely to blame for the horror crash last year.
Investigators found safety failings led to the incident where two girls lost a leg each and 14 others were injured.
Yet top boss Nick Varney kept his job and is in line for a £1.4million share bonus.
Judge Michael Chambers QC said thousands of young people were at risk of death or serious harm since the ride opened in 2013.
Victims of... read more
- 16:33 Investigation after blaze rips through terraced Birstall house
- 16:33 Next IMF aid tranche demands tough, Ukraine official warns
- 16:32 Outraged MP tweets photo of 'xenophobic' refugee poster in Parliament
- 16:32 Mark Carney 'understands' savers' anger with low interest rates as...
- 16:32 'Wonky' Harris Hawk stolen in break-in
- 16:31 Charitable young people help renovate Nelson centre
- 16:31 Jack O'Connell to star in Alexander McQueen biopic
- 16:30 Schweinsteiger belongs on Manchester United team sheet says German...
- 16:30 Guardiola reluctant to throw Man City kids in against Manchester...
- 16:30 Halloween makeup: How to do this spooky skeleton manicure
- 16:29 Why can’t the NHS treat my mental health as effectively as my cancer?
- 16:29 Libyan interference in rescue may have caused 30 migrant deaths -...
- 16:28 Anglesey Aluminium demolition starts to make way for £1bn biomass park
- 16:28 NHS fertility pioneer who helped thousands have children dies at...
- 16:28 Nazi POW's postcard returned to family by teacher
- 16:27 Police provide update over shocking footage of girl beaten in...
- 16:26 ‘Fascinating’ photographic archive of 1920s Leith published online
- 16:26 Win a magical Disney holiday
- 16:26 Music review: Goat
- 16:25 Elderly couple feel lucky to be alive after car smashes into their...
- 16:25 Ex-car auction firm boss 'can't wait for justice' in Lloyds Bank...
- 16:25 Brackley robber who cut woman’s hand with knife sentenced to four...
- 16:25 Morrisons launches in-store pumpkin carving lessons for parents
- 16:25 Which country is the most generous in the world?
- 16:24 US child porn case Briton loses High Court extradition battle
- 16:24 These 37 medical treatments are completely pointless, according to...
- 16:24 Mixing Red Bull and alcohol is a really, really bad idea, according...
- 16:24 WhatsApp is now more secure than Telegram – someone should tell Isis
- 16:23 Taxi company owner to have licence reviewed after driver caused...
- 16:23 Key Everton FC duo one booking away from picking up ban