Alton Towers operator fined £5million after horror crash on Smiler rollercoaster 'which left thousands at risk of death'
The operator of Alton Towers has been fined £5million after the horrific crash on the Smiler rollercoaster which left two girls needing leg amputations.
A court heard how Merlin Attractions Operations Ltd was solely to blame for the horror crash last year.
Investigators found safety failings led to the incident where two girls lost a leg each and 14 others were injured.
Yet top boss Nick Varney kept his job and is in line for a £1.4million share bonus.
Judge Michael Chambers QC said thousands of young people were at risk of death or serious harm since the ride opened in 2013.
Victims of... read more
- 09:39 Iran's supreme court upholds tycoon's death sentence for graft
- 09:38 Quiz of the week’s news...
- 09:38 OFSTED ANNUAL REPORT: ‘Too many children not doing well enough in...
- 09:38 Weekend weather for South Cumbria
- 09:36 Old Dalby schoolchild Chloe’s fantastic fundraising efforts help...
- 09:35 Rip-off fears as Mastercard lets shoppers pay at till in...
- 09:35 Brexit has made Britons more interested in the economy - and...
- 09:35 What are trade agreements and why do we need them? Watch our...
- 09:34 Barrow residents to pay for 'green waste' collections
- 09:34 Weekend sexual health clinic in Barrow hospital closes after...
- 09:34 National headlines
- 09:34 Two seriously injured in A590 smash in Barrow
- 09:34 Traffic and travel news for Cumbria - Saturday December 3
- 09:32 India, Afghanistan plan air cargo link over Pakistan
- 09:31 Body of Long Eaton man James Nicholls pulled from sewage tank
- 09:30 Preferred candidate named in hunt for Lincolnshire’s new Chief...
- 09:29 Man killed in early-hours crash near Telford
- 09:29 Paul Pogba can be as good as Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and...
- 09:29 Reeves and Mortimer at Nottingham's Royal Concert Hall - review
- 09:25 Recognition for partnership tackling underage drinking
- 09:25 Morpeth woman jailed for involvement in murder
- 09:23 Hillsborough foes have traded places
- 09:23 Turkey hits back at EU over migrant deal collapse as it blasts 'you...
- 09:22 Unauthorised wearing of military medals could become a crime
- 09:21 China protests at Trump-Taiwan call
- 09:20 Concert violinist jailed for conning people out of £357,000 by...
- 09:20 Newcastle United duo set to miss Burton Albion trip after red cards...
- 09:16 Chinese mine disasters kill at least 38
- 09:15 Police forced to take mugshot with macaw who wouldn’t leave criminal
- 09:15 Fake injury claimants caught out after they were spotted playing...